WPMU: Is it compatible with all plugins?

Hello,

I have installed a few different plugins I want to have on my main site but when I activate them for the entire network they will not even show up in my main membership site.

Is that because they are not supported in WPMU mode or am missing a step?

• PC

Hello Seth,

Greetings and thanks for your post.

A few plugins are only compatible with WordPress single install and a few are Multisite only.

There are few which work with both Multisite and Single install.

Whenever you install any plugin on your site, you can visit the plugin page and see that in the sidebar there is a compatibility section. That will tell you if your plugin would be compatible with Multisite or not.

Screenshot attached.

Alternatively you can install our WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin which will allow you to auto install the plugins with a single click and will also check the compatibility.

Its here : https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/

A few plugins are activated network wide and a few are activated site wide according to the need.

Few plugins have network level settings as well as site level settings (Example MarketPress) and a few plugins have only network level settings (Example Pro Sites)

There is a usage page for every plugin which will help you understand how it works :slight_smile:

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

• Seth

I already have the dashboard plugin from you guys.

Sorry I wasn't more specific.

I was actually talking about plugins that are not developed by wpmudev.

For instants, I installed a simple countdown timer plugin and it won't even show up on my main site to let people know when the site is going to launch, even tho I activated it network wide.

Because I have activated multisite, does that mean certain plugins will not work on the main site? Is that main site even considered a multisite?

I guess I'm lacking knowledge on this topic but I feel like the main site should not be held to the same rules as the other sub-sites that members create because it is the site people come to get the most info and features. is that true or am I wrong?

And thank you for all the info above, much appreciated! :slight_smile:

• PC

Sorry for the delay here Seth !

Because I have activated multisite, does that mean certain plugins will not work on the main site? Is that main site even considered a multisite?

Certain plugins might not work sitewide but if they are single site compatible, then they might work on the main site.

Not all the plugins are coded to work with Wordpress multisite. So before you install any such plugin, you should try and confirm if that supports WordPress multisite or not.

I guess I'm lacking knowledge on this topic but I feel like the main site should not be held to the same rules as the other sub-sites that members create because it is the site people come to get the most info and features. is that true or am I wrong?

You are correct. Main site is just like a single WordPress site. If you want to run a plugin on the main site only, don't network activate it. Simply activate it on your main site only.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers
    PC
    Sales &Support

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.