WPMU load error

I have had another thread going on this issue, but after finding multiple posts at Wordpress MU and on different forums on the internet (Google is our friend, remember?), I have concluded that this problem is not limited to my site. The number of identical instances of the problem indicate to me that it is a WPMU problem, and I am hoping someone can help find a solution.

What I, and the others, are seeing, when viewing the source after WPMU loads in a new browser is ...

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
    @import url(http://somedomain.com/wp-content/themes//style.css);
</style>

Notice the two slashes with no data inserted between them (//). What we should be seeing is

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
    @import url(http://somedomain.com/wp-content/themes/theme-name/style.css);
</style>

Where the theme name is inserted between the two slashes. Refreshing the page loads the correct information (the second example, above) and the page renders properly.

This happens across all themes, single site WP style themes, as well as newer themes like WP-Nelo and WP-Triden.

I am a "non-coder" but it appears to me that this could only be a problem with the WPMU core, and possibly either some problem from the original installation, or the core code.

The most useful post I have seen among the problems listed on the internet was where one user was able to edit their database, but for some reason, my installation does not have the table he edited. He edited Table: wp_2_options. I have Table: wp_1_options, Table: wp_3_options and Table: wp_4_options, but no Table: wp_2_options.

I would appreciate some help on this matter, or direction toward a source of help. I do not want to hire an outside developer as this will not solve the problem permanently. One update and the problem will return.

Thanks you,
Kirk Ward

  • Andrew

    Hiya,

    He edited Table: wp_2_options. I have Table: wp_1_options, Table: wp_3_options and Table: wp_4_options, but no Table: wp_2_options.

    Those tables correspond to blogs. If you do not have a blog with the ID of 2 then you will not have a wp_2_options table.

    I'm afraid your best bet is honestly just to hire someone to look at your site, debug if necessary and find out what is causing the problem.

    Thanks,
    Andrew

  • Kirk Ward

    It seems to be occurring across all themes on my site, those designed for single blog WP and those designed for multi-blog WPMU (all of which were acquired from wpmudev.org). It occurs randomly, but sometimes goes through stages where it occurs more frequently than others. It has been reproduced by others, and is not exclusive to one browser or another It has occurred on multiple PC's for me. (I just had a very expensive lightning strike where I had to replace a lot of home electronics, including PC's and laptoips.)

    It is very frustrating, and I'm supposed to show off my site during a webinar on Monday.

    That'll be a hoot!

  • Kirk Ward

    I think I have found the problem, but I'm still not sure.

    Those tables correspond to blogs. If you do not have a blog with the ID of 2 then you will not have a wp_2_options table.

    As Andrew notes, the wp_#_options table correspond to the blogs, and apparently to the users. Discovering that those are the options tables for the blogs on the site, has given me a good starting point.

    Once I read that, I did some searching (Google is your friend, remember?), and realized that the only time I had been into the database was to delete a row from the wp_signups table as described by Aaron ...

    They are added to the wp_signups table, which doesn't get cleared even when a user or blog is deleted.

    You can delete the rows. Or if using gmail you can add a + sign or . in your address to make it unique for testing.

    in the thread at https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/email-address-has-already-been-used-during-signup

    I had previously deleted the second blog, and wanted to re-use the email address, so I deleted the row associated with that email address, and if my memory serves me right after all this stress, that should be about when my problems started.

    I hope that was it as I have deleted my entire site and reinstalled WPMU, without any personal blogs. I will begin to add those tomorrow. Right now, I think I'll go kick a can or something.

    Cheers,
    Kirk

  • Kirk Ward

    Understand the wp_signup thing should have been unrelated, or at least that would be normal expectations. But, I am coming to believe that they may have been interrelated in the database.

    The problem appeared in Nelo and Triden, I did not test beyond those two.

    Will see what happens tomorrow. I have installed and will give it a rest overnight as it seems to take a bit of time between instances to cause it to occur. That thought makes me wonder if it is some cache thing on the HostGator shared server account, which would cause a lag or lapse between the call to the header file and the call to the css, leaving that blank space where the theme name should be.

    Thanks for thinking about it.
    Kirk

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.