WPMU MultiDomains and Domain Mapping

I’m trying to setup a buddypress site on WordPress 3.1 that will allow users to register and map as many domains as they’d like to their blogs. I’ve setup a subdomain multisite and have the domain mapping plugin enabled but I can’t get multidomain enabled. When network activating multidomain I get “The plugin does not have a valid header.”

Am I going about this the right way? Any help would be appreciated.

• njrep
    • New Recruit

Ok I think it’s working… using the dm sunrise.php. Just trying to wrap my brain around how to handle the the multiple domain mapping. The idea here is that users can register their blog user1.mywpmu.com with their domain user1.com. Now the dream is I want the user to be able to specify as many domains as they’d like for their blog without admin intervention. Domain Mapping would be the best plugin to do this as it can be configured from the blog owner’s login but it seems to only allow one domain mapping and makes all traffic appear to be going to the specified mapped domain.

Multidomain which allows multiple domains doesn’t have a mapping feature and doesn’t allow you to specify which blog the domain you add is to pointed to.

Is what I’m trying to accomplish possible with these two tools?

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Multi-Domains – This allows you to use multiple domain names to offer your end users:-

user1.your-main-domain.com

user2.your-main-domain.com

user3.your-second-domain.com

user4.your-second-domain.com

Its not for end users but network site owners.

Domain Mapping – You are right this is to allow blog owners the option to add their own domains to their blog.

The plugin lets you make one domain as primary, it would not make SEO sense to allow multiple domains to represent the same content, search engines like Google would see this as spam and penalise you.

Your users could just forward any additional domains to the main mapped one.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Multidomain which allows multiple domains doesn’t have a mapping feature and doesn’t allow you to specify which blog the domain you add is to pointed to.

If you wanted your “your-second-domain.com” domain name to have its own site as well then you can create a blog on your main domain, then map it with the “Domain Mapping” plugin just like your users would for their own blog.

Hope that makes sense.

:slight_smile:

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Well there is also another plugin which the domain mapping plugin is based on.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-domain-mapping/

This will allow you to map multiple domains to one blog, but still you can only have one as primary, the others are just forwarded in.

I guess it just changes where the step happens, so rather than using your registrar to forward in, you point all the domains to your MU install and allow the plugin to handle the forwarding part.

:slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.