WPMU on Debian6 virtual hosting environment

Hi There!

Any super-great resources out there to find an experienced server admin for installation and hardening?

Currently having issues with both WPMU and single installation. May be related to file permissions. But really, would love to have an expert do it. =)

Best,
Tony

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there Tony.

Sadly I think the best thing here might be to hire yourself a system admin who is experienced with Deb. Its been ages since I even had an install.

Generally this sort of thing is out of the scope of our support but if we can help we will try.

Currently having issues with both WPMU and single installation. May be related to file permissions.

What issues are you having? Any errors? Something to point us in a direction to find any issues.

Did you setup and compile everything yourself? Is it local and done via IP or in a DA with full DNS?

Let me know.

• tonyfantis
    • New Recruit

Thanks! I installed everything on a Lindode VPS, Debian 6 with latest MySql and PHP, using DNS.

The goal is to give every domain its own blog and own db.

Thanks again, been scouring the interwebs to find a SA for Debian with WPMU experience. I'm quite surprised by how "unfindable" pros can be. Then again, I think I understand.

Thanks to WPMU for your help!

T-

• tonyfantis
    • New Recruit

Hi Timothy,

Thanks a bunch! I'll definitely check out Freelance.

As it turns out, my biggest problem was a lack of understanding/documentation of the plugin. I love the clean interface of WPMUdev, but could really use more specific information about the plugins.

For example, "Multi-User" has many meanings. It could be one owner with many blogs on one site, many owners with one blog per site, many owners with access to each others' blogs. After 12 re-installs, we finally got it right. We might have nailed it on the first try with some good documentation.

I'm still in love with WPMUdev! But the honeymoon period was short. :wink:

Best,
    t-

• G Jonsson
    • Flash Drive

Hi,

Here is very good documentation about how to set up lamp on debian6

Debian stable Web Server step by step

If you follow this you will have perfect server for running, BUT skip the portsentry part.

Only thing i found missing in that doc is php_mcrypt add-on.

And a very good VPS provider is http://www.greenqloud.is

A 100% Truly Green Hosting.

I don't know if this helps you, but many it will help someone else :slight_smile:

Best
    G

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Which plugin was it you had issues with? If you could provide further details then I can look into that for you.

We are revamping a lot of things recently as you see with the site. Many plugins have had improved documents and more are on the cards.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.