WPMU Seo plugin is creating core.#### files

After upgrading to the latest version of InfiniteSEO, I started seeing files generated in my public_html directory plus my WP dashboard shows 1 plugin needs updating, but nothing is showing with the update link. This is occurring on blogs using the blog/#/ format (subdirectory) and I had ten sites hit their quota in a matter of minutes after upgrading this plugin.
Granted, I did have other SEO plugins installed, but even after removing them, InfiniteSEO was still creating the core file dumps.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MKWeb :slight_smile:

after seeing your post and just installing Infinite SEO yesterday - I had to go and check to see if I had any of these core dump files located in the root of the site/network that I installed this to - and found nothing and it was a clean install.

I also checked other places on the server to only come up empty handed - it is hosted on our Dedicated Centos OS Server.

What Operating System is your server running?

In addition, did any of the other SEO plugins change your .htaccess file(s)

Joe :slight_smile:

• MKWeb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello aecnu,
    I have it installed on a couple different Shared accounts that is running CentOS (I believe). I also had two other SEO related plugins installed and even after deactivating them, I was still getting the core dumps.
    Another thing I noticed was after deactivating Intense, my adsense started showing inside the posts again.
    I noticed one line had been added to my .htaccess files with a rewrite of the ms-files option.
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]
    but that is just for uploads, so not sure why that would be changed.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MKWeb :slight_smile:

hmmmm ..... I am wondering if your shared account hosting security is causing some of this problem.

I personally would try adding the following to my .htaccess file to see if it makes any difference:

SecFilterEngine Off

and it is bizarre that your adsense is affected by the SEO Plugin.

Joe :slight_smile:

• MKWeb
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Aaron,
    core dumps are files generated on Linux systems when a script or program does something it shouldn't. the file names are core.4412 core.4427 etc...
    The contents can only be read by using the shell access. The ones I looked at this morning were all pointing to SEO plugins that were installed on my blogs. Some are networked blogs where I did a Network activation of the plugin (instead of activating it on each sub blog individually). The stand alone blogs are not having any issues, but the networked blogs using the subdomain approach are ALL having these generated on them.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey MKWeb.

How you getting on with this one.

There was also a report here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/annoying-core-dumps

You could ask your host to turn those core dumps off, there only really useful for investigating

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/annoying-core-dumps

It could be a server config issue. I had this once. Turning those core dumps off are the best thing.

Let us know how you are getting on. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.