WPMU subdirectories conflicting with domains that share same name.

2 question both of same nature.
1. If I have WP-Multisite subdirectories set up example: tim.mtb1701.com and ginab.mtb1701.com ; then say Joe decides to register actual domains tim.mtb1701.com and ginab.mtb1701.com with a registry; what’s going to happen to my subdirectories.
2. How can I do manual subdomains via c-panel that would read tim.mtb1701.com and not mtb1701.com/tim ?? Thank You Mark Wall

• James Dunn

Goodday mtb1701.com.

Great question and I think the answer is pretty simple.

I don't believe that Joe can register tim.mtb1701.com OR ginab.mtb1701.com with a registry because he doesn't own mtb1701.com. I've tried it just to see and my reseller account kicks it back to me because I have to own the root domain in order to register subdomains. Plus, you don't have to actually register the subdomains with a registrar to actually use them do you? I think you just point the subdomains in your "A" records (or maybe it's one of the other records) for the main domain.

As an example, try to register, joe.coke.com - and you cannot do that.

Once you own the domain, I believe you own all the subdomains. Otherwise, you could go register tons of subdomains for ever popular brand on the planet.

Hope that is informative.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• aecnu

Greetings Mark,

Thank you for this great question and James Dunn is spot on with his answer, a person cannot register a sub domain of a TLD (Top Level Domain i.e. domain.com) it is virtually impossible.

1. If I have WP-Multisite subdirectories set up example

James Dunn is also accurate with the fact that you do not register the sub domains to use them and he is further correct that once you own the TLD the sub domains are subject to the whim of the TLD owner.

2. How can I do manual subdomains via c-panel that would read tim.mtb1701.com and not mtb1701.com/tim ?

What I see here is that you now want to create what a Word Press sub domain installation does naturally from what is already a WordPress sub directory installation using cPanel to force the sub domain.

In cPanel add the sub domain like any sub domain, once added you then would use a redirect of the sub domain to the sub directory.

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev Member!

Cheers, Joe

• Mark Wallace

@Joe
    ***In cPanel add the sub domain like any sub domain, once added you then would use a redirect of the sub domain to the sub directory.***

1. i have a single wordpress install on a domain. I want to create subdomains using the tim.mtb1701.org format. Then I want to have people ftp separate WP installs so I can teach them WP basics. Was wondering about the turning them into actual domains tim.holytruth.org to place in their own c-panel should they stick around long enough to get into multisite lessons.

2. I know I registered a domain kp.k.org because kpk.org was taken. So i was wondering about people high jacking my names. didn’t consider the fact that kp.k is nothing like k.kpk. So! A thanks to both of you for that.

@JamesDunn
    Very small world, I lived in Douglasville GA, and still have family there. Watch out for them Alabamians. lol

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.