WPMU themes vs Buddypress themes

We're installed at WPMU v2.9.2 and BP v1.2.3. We have blog creation turned off as we don't want general users to be able to create blogs at this time. The main website (pages and posts) is running under the top-level WPMU blog.

When users log in we want to take them to the BuddyPress "homepage" - however I'm not totally sure what the BuddyPress 'default homepage' (meaning the first page the user is taken to when they log in) is supposed to be.

I'm current using Theme My Login plugin and in order to get that to work I have had to edit my /bp-core/bp-core-adminbar.php file to force the login to the /members page so that users arrive at the member directory page. But that is not what we would prefer to do.

MY QUESTION: Is it possible to set up the system so that we can use one theme for WMPU (under which our pages and posts would display -- our existing custom theme) and a SEPARATE theme for BuddyPress?

Our custom theme was created a few versions ago and I'm thinking that -- despite doing the upgrades and installing BuddyPress Backwards Compatibilty -- that there is something in our custom theme that is messing things up.

Thanks.

• swainjohn

Hi, Aaron. As you may or may not recall from some other threads, we're trying to figure out a way to control what page BuddyPress users arrive at (landing page) when they log in (without having to hire a PHP developer to hack WPMU/BP code to get there).

The main part of the site is for anonymous users and contains pages and posts. It has a custom homepage running under a custom-created WP theme (see clickingonline.com). When users log in we don't want them to be taken to the homepage (as it's not a BP page) and we don't want them taken to the Members Directory -- which is what I have set up now using ThemeMyLogin and a hack to /bp-core/bp-core-adminbar.php.

I like the idea of setting up a subblog for BP and create a version of our custom theme with a different page configured as the homepage. We'll give that a try.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.