WPMU User Blog Creation = blank page

I am using the Membership premium plugin.

If a user with membership roles set to allow blog creation, clicks on the link (http://.../blogs/create) to create a new blog, it displays a blank page rather than setting up the site.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings william_lehman,

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the Membership plugin.

There are many possibilities that can cause this symptom --> the blank screen symptom --> and one of them is memory, php memory to be precise.

So we should start there and see if your installation is being squeezed for memory.

Please consider downloading and installing WP-Memory-Usage plugin or similar memory tester and let us know what the memory numbers are.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for those figures and it appears that you are in really good shape there regarding memory.

Next thing we should do is check the integrity of the database and its tables.

While logged into the admin dashboard go to --> Membership --> Options --> Advanced tab and click to Repair Membership Tables and then after repairing verify that they are all good.

Please advise if this does the job for us.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for your additional input which is greatly appreciated.

Looking over your list of plugins I cannot see anything of possible interest that could be causing this issue.

I have come to an impasse since I have no other ideas what to check.

Therefore I will see if I can get the lead developer in here with his invaluable insight into this plugin for his advice/advise for us.

Though this may take a bit longer then a normal ticket, I will try to get him in here asap.

Cheers, Joe

• william_lehman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I have at least narrowed it down that it is not the plugin that is causing this error (as it still happens if the plugin is not active).

I am thinking it's just a standard mu problem or theme problem that is causing this. Still any help would be appreciated.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Have you tried changing the theme temporarily to the default Buddy Press theme or perhaps Twenty Eleven to see if this indeed clears this up?

I should have suggested a thorough trouble shooting session much earlier.

It is past time to go into full blown trouble shooting mode because it appears there may be some conflict here and one way to find out conclusively.

Standard plugin trouble shooting protocol - first to switch to the Twenty Eleven theme just long enough to check for the problem - if the problem still exists next involves deactivating all plugins except the plugin in question and then see if the issue still exists.

If it does not, then you want to activate plugins one at a time testing in between to see if the issue returns. Even when you find one plugin, it may be in your interest to deactivate the problem plugin and continue testing the rest of the plugins to insure no others are also conflicting.

You will know the conflict when the issue returns and which plugin(s) you activated that cause the issue.

Please advise if there are any plugin conflicts and if so what the plugins are that are conflicting.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

If I am an administrator I can definitely create a new site, but a user account gets a blank page when trying to create a site.

Do you have access to your php error logs? A blank page is usually the sign of a fatal error and that should be listed in the log.

• william_lehman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

okay, here goes errors - If I create a site via "/wp-admin/network/site-new.php?action=add-site" I get the following error:

Warning: array_keys() expects parameter 1 to be array, boolean given in /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/capabilities.php on line 453

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/capabilities.php on line 453

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/capabilities.php:453) in /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881

I am getting a few error messages in logs from several days ago (not currently outputting errors though) that look like this:

Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/uploads/bpfb/tmp/
    Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/uploads/bpfb/
    Directory index forbidden by Options directive: /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/buddypress-activity-plus/
    File does not exist: /home/ragamuff/public_html/index.php

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for posting the additional information concerning the errors.

Though the last errors you gave that you said are no longer present I will not comment at this time other then they were coming from what appears to be a missing tmp folder, a sub folder of the uploads folder i.e. /wp-content/uploads/bpfb/tmp/

You would want to check that this folder exists and that it is permission-ed 755.

The first and "active" error if you will, is coming from bbPress as shown below:
    /wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/core/capabilities.php on line 453

Have you tried disabling the bbPress plugin to see if this is indeed causing the issue?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• william_lehman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Joe,

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving. Thank you for continuing to help me troubleshoot this.

If I disable bbpress, the front end (at register) blog creation works fine now without any errors.

If I navigate to sites in dashboard as user and try to create site there, I am still getting a blank page as soon as I click on "Create a new site" - ie. http://mysite.com/blogs/create/

-------------

Two issues remain.
    * I would like to use bbpress as this intends to be a community site.
    * I would like users be able to create a site after they are already registered if they choose to.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the Thanksgiving considerations, it is greatly appreciated and I hope you had a great one as well.

There is something totally bizarre going on there. Did you manage to get the tmp folder permission-ed? If so did this make any difference with the error messages?

We are down to possibly taking some drastic measures to get this working for you.

Who is hosting the site?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• william_lehman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Yes, tmp folder permissions are set. No, that didn't make a difference on that first error message as I was no longer receiving that error anyway. :wink:

Obviously, I am still having the issues with bbpress and creating sites at registration with the membership premium plugin as well as dashboard site creation for users.

This is a pretty clean install, so whatever needs to be done I am good with it. However, I do have one live site that is run off of this installation.

As for host, I am on a server leased from wiredtree, so I can get you whatever access you need here.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for the additional input which is certainly appreciated.

Referring to your installation it is not on a live server?

Referring to the errors, what remaining errors are we now dealing with?

Referring to your host, do they use cPanel?

Please advise and I admit I am running out of options to try to debug this.

On a side note, there are other folks reporting issues with bbPress as well - I am beginning to think that bbPress is the root.

Cheers, Joe

• william_lehman
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Oh, it's on a live server. You can actually feel free to view it at http://www.ragamuffinchurch.com - I want to get everything working before I let too many people know of the site. :wink:

Yes, we use WHM and cPanel. The host is actually eHermits, Inc, and we lease our servers from Wiredtree. I am actually a developer there myself.

I am encouraged that other people are having issues with bbpress (so it's not just me) although I understand that may be a headache for you guys.

I also just found a new error when I try to register using the popup with the membership plugin. Not sure if it's related in any way.

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 7294

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you so much for the additional input which is indeed telling though I cannot figure out why the popup never caused me issues like that or any errors.

I asked about the host because how the server is configured makes a big difference.

I have done experiments with folks and proved it was their host - several have jumped over to my side of the fence and some have actually wanted me to tell their host how to configure their servers!

Not happening. I consider that information proprietary to the company. In 2006-2007 I spent thousands to have crack developers from the tech university here figure out ideal hosting conditions - due to my then dual core servers were slow and at that time proved that configuration was what it was all about and things got much better.

Now a days I have dual quad cores configured the same way and they scream on it.

If you want to try a non binding experiment I am in - just let me know aecnu (at) incsub.com

Please be sure to include a copy of this tickets URL:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/wpmu-user-blog-creation-blank-page

Now back to the issue we are currently dealing with this installation.

Are you indeed referring to the pop up that comes with Membership or the Pop Up! plugin?

Hopefully Barry will stop in again soon.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Thank you for clarification concerning the origin of the troubling pop up and I will indeed send a ping over to @Barry to see if he has any input to what could be causing this error with the pop up within the Membership plugin.

Fatal error: Cannot use object of type WP_Error as array in /home/ragamuff/public_html/wp-content/plugins/membership/membershipincludes/classes/membershipadmin.php on line 7294

Hopefully he will have some idea what may be causing this and be able to make it in here sooner then later.

Cheers, Joe

• Barry
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

@nickrosener - are you also getting the membership admin error?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.