WPMU using SUBDOMAIN site creation faliure

Greetings amazing devs!
I have a small problem revolving around Multisite subdomain site creation. I have read through quite some discussions regarding this but I seem to do something wrong. I have installed standard WordPress to my domain. After that, I have included the proper statement to my wp-config file and found the right .htaccess and wp-config settings in the backend of WordPress network setup. Now after that I have created a wildcard subdomain on my VPS server (running Apache) on latest PHP and MySql. I created the wildcard subdomain in the http_html directory as there is also my wp-config file (really just the whole WordPress). NOTE: I'm not getting any SSL insecure content in the backend and even on my sites that I created as standard WordPress! As that was a problem I had before this one.
The WPMU that I'm running already has LIKE A LOT of plugins installed and configured and it would suck if I had to redo everything. (using domain-mapping and pro-sites... the only 3rd-party are the theme ASTRA PRO and ELEMENTOR with pro addon)
My problem is that when I create a new site from my backend it is not created instead I get an https certificate error and description of the server folder structure ( index of: blah blah....) when I open the site from URL. If I open the site from backend it responds that it couldn't find the index.php file.
Now I am very confused as to what may be the problem. I know that the wildcard SSL is not set up correctly as it is not yet supported with AutoSSL. Next, I have some suspicion that I butchered some settings in my wp-config and .htaccess files.
Any help or insights would be really appreciated. If you need access to the WPMU I already granted access to it for 5 days starting today.
Best Regards :slight_smile:

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David

First of all, I am getting the SSL privacy error. So it seems the SSL you are using doesn't cover wildcard, so I am getting the error. If you are not getting the error, please try on the incognito mode of the browser or try from a different browser where you didn't visit the page before.

Secondly, it also seems your wildcard subdomain is pointing to wrong directory. That directory has nothing there, so you are seeing indexing of the directory. Would you please post a screenshot of the wildcard subdomain setup?

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• David
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hello Ash and thank you for replying,

Yes, you are correct as to the SSL problem. I am using the AutoSSL provided by cPanel and they do not support wildcard subdomains. I am aware of that problem and will solve it by simply changing the urls of the created site to http instead of https for now.

Secondly, I am not quite sure how to set up the wildcard then to point to the right directory as it seems. I am attaching some screenshots of the setup I have now. If you would be so kind to gave em a look and point me in the right direction I would appreciate it a lot!

Best Regards!

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello David

On the screenshot, you can see in the document_root, there is a "_wildcard_*********" folder after public_html, you need to get rid of that.

You can follow the screenshot where I filled the form considering the multisite domain is the main domain of this hosting panel:

Have a nice day!

Cheers,
    Ash

• David

Hello Ash,

I have recreated the wildcard subdomain as you have instructed above.

Assuming this will fix my problem I will close the support ticket or notify you about newly encountered problems.

Thank you for helping me fix my issue!
    Have a nice day!

Best regards,
    David

• David

Great support!
    Removing the wildcard auto-complete folder solved my problem. I can create new sites and very fast. Unfortunately, I am having another problem with price tables of Pro Sites plugin for which I will open a new support ticket.
    Thank you yet again Ash for your amazing support!
    Have a great one,

Best regards,
    David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.