WPMU with CloudFlare

Hello,

I would like to understand how to setup my network behind cloudFlare.

and how customers that are (not) with cloudflare, have to configure their DNS to map their custom domain?

Thanks.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello MyHQ

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

You have mentioned DNS configuration for domain mapping so I understand that you're using a dedicated IP for your site, is that correct? That would be the best scenario in this case, in fact.

The setup would be fairly basic in this case. For the main domain you need to go through the standard CloudFlare steps that they ask you to after you setup an account. Then there's an issue of sub-sites without mapped domains. That depends on the kind of setup that you got.

If it's sub-folder setup, that's not an issue at all because the most basic, standard "wizard" configuration at CloudFlare end would do the trick.

If it's sub-domain setup, that gets a bit more tricky. If it's a CloudFlare's Free, Pro or Business plan you got two ways to go:

- setup a wildcard CNAME or A RECORD for you main domain in CloudFlare, there's no "proxying" so while CloudFlare will handle them in terms of handling DNS responses properly, sub-domain sites will not be "protected" by CloudFlare.

- if you want to protect sub-sites with CloudFlare you would need to manually, explicitly add sub-domains of the main domain to your CloudFlare account.

If it's Enterpirse plan, you can simply setup wild-card for your main domain in CloudFlare and it will make all the sub-domains covered by CloudFlare automatically.

So, that's one aspect. The next step is CloudFlare configuration for you customers who want to map their own domains to their sites. This will work regardless of what is the setup for the main domain, as long as you're using dedicated IP.

If a customer wants to map his/her own domain and doesn't have CloudFlare account or doesn't want to go through CloudFlare, they simply set A record of their domain to point to your dedicated IP. The configuration here goes the same way as the CloudFlare wasn't even there.

If they want to add CloudFlare later, they can simply sign up for a free plan (set their own accounts on CloudFlare) and follow the standard CF setup wizard.

What if you don't have dedicated IP then?

Actually, if it comes to main domain, that's the same as explained earlier. If it comes to mapped domains of your customers, it's a bit different but if they want to skip/avoid CloudFlare, the setup would be a standard Domain Mapping setup:
    - add the domain to your sever as add-on domain
    - set its root folder to point to a root folder of the main domain
    - provide customer with nameservers of your server
    - customer changes domain's nameservers to the nameservers of your server
    - customer maps the domain from his/her site's dashboard

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.