WPMultiSite Database Structure

O.K. I was tooling around in the underlying database tables of my WPMultiSite MySQL Database today and noticed something odd. I "NEVER" set up my database prefix as "wp_" - I always give it a different prefix. I have several subsites set up for this MultiSite configuration and the main site and the subsites all have the same prefix that I initially set up. However, I noticed a set of tables with the "wp_" prefix and it got me to wondering. Does a WP MultiSite application also set up a set of tables with that default prefix regardless of anything that I do or is this some type of anomaly?

Thanks in advance for any information. I've not found anything to lead me to believe this is normal.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Timothy.

I didn't check the contents early because I was working on something else, but I just went back into Navicat and checked the contents of the tables that started with "wp_". There's data there. And it's the same data that is in my main tables for my main site. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I even checked the website from which it was cloned and those tables weren't in that database, so I don't have a clue how they were created.

I checked the website it was referencing and it was my main site.

Strange, just plain strange.

JDD

• James Dunn

Hey Timothy.

I'm not going to "die" on the hill that the cloning process didn't create it, but it should not have.

Also, I only use the cloning software that I used to clone the site over, no other backup or DB plugins of any type.

I may have inadvertently created them when I was initially fumbling around with the Multi-Site setup. This is my first MultiSite, so I'm learning as I go along. This forum has been sooooo much help and I thank everyone for their willingness to dive in to offer assistance and answers.

I may set up another MultiSite on another of my sandbox domains and see if it creates those tables as well. If I do, I'll also clone the site over there to see if it creates them from the clone software.

If this is not normal behavior, and it doesn't seem to be causing any negative issues, then I'm not really worried about it. Like I've mentioned in other postings, I'm not usually just satisfied with the answer - I want to know the "why" of the answer if at all possible, so I can learn more. There may not be an easy answer here and the why may escape. If it works like it is, I might also just delete those tables using Navicat and roll on.

Thanks for the assistance.

JDD

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

If this is not normal behavior, and it doesn't seem to be causing any negative issues, then I'm not really worried about it. Like I've mentioned in other postings, I'm not usually just satisfied with the answer - I want to know the "why" of the answer if at all possible, so I can learn more. There may not be an easy answer here and the why may escape. If it works like it is, I might also just delete those tables using Navicat and roll on.

Well sounds like you are similar to me, it would drive me nuts not knowing. I would want to try and find the cause and reason. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately because I never set your site up or did anything with it, it would be hard to know at what stage it might have happened or potentially why...

I'm not sure why... All I can say at this point really is that I don't see it in my installs.

Whats this cloner software?

Thanks.

• James Dunn

I own several cloning tools, but the one that I use all the type is WPCyteClone (don't visit the site because the plugin author suffered an attack like so many HostMonster customers did a few weeks back). It's super easy to use and so far, I've had NO problems with it.

I also own WPTwin, but I couldn't use it when I first purchased it because my host at the time didn't allow certain commands that it required. I used that as an opportunity to change hosts (and got much better hosting and superior site security), but then it was creating a permissions issued on deploying the clone. My hosting provider and I couldn't initially figure it out, but then a few months later, he contacted me saying he may have discovered the problem - I've just never taken time to try it again. Since we're about to move to a new server, it may be a perfect opportunity to give it another try.

I have a Clone/Backup/Deploy plugin from Frank Haywood as well, but it caused issues when I tried to use it. I never pursued getting it working correctly. I guess I didn't pay enough for it to try to pursue it.

Finally, I have a Clone and Backup system from Robert Plank and Lance Tamashiro, but I've not even tried it at all - had too many other things going on to even try it.

When we transfer servers in the coming weeks, I may take time to actually try all of these to see what works the best and simplest, but so far WPCyteClone seems to have been the one that has worked the best and is the most reliable. Plus, the developer's support was really good on it. It didn't work for me initially, but the developer connected me with his coder and that person worked tirelessly to get it working perfectly for me - all while getting it working for others.

Hope this was good information for you. If you want to know more, just ask.

JDD

• James Dunn

The WPTwin and WPCyteClone scripts work very easily because they rewrite everything from the image reference URL's, document URL's, etc. In almost every application I've used them, I've not had a problem except for the aforementioned problem with WPTwin.

WPCyteClone is a WP Plugin and operates within WP.

WPTwin is a .php script that does not operate within WP. Also, there's an addon from another coder for WPTwin that helps to set up a CRON job so you can backup WP at specific intervals and upload the file to AmazonS3 and I think Dropbox.

That's why I really want to get WPTwin working, but I've not taken the time to dig into it lately. My Hosting provider and I are going to have to get serious about this. :wink:

JDD

• Timothy Bowers

Hey thanks for all the information again.

Any ideas from AECNU (Joe) or Timothy? It might be less confusing to future visitors to this thread and maybe helpful to someone searching for Clone and Backup ideas.

I would love to say yeah, however we use an older version of bbPress (not the plugin one) and sadly we don't have that feature to split threads other wise I would do.

Really sorry about that, I wish I could. :slight_frown:

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.