WPmultisite redirect after change of domain

I could have posted this in the community forum but it's quite confusing and urgent, I had a wordpress multisite hosted on amazon aws instance, our intern accidentally deleted the whole instance while trying to terminate a testing site server on the instance, we had no back ups so we lost all our sites and have to rebuild them again, when i tried to point the old domain name of the deleted site to the new ip address of the new wordpress installation which we want to build our new site on, i get redirected to a wp sign up page, see here http://africomputing.com . i will appreciate your help, thank you

• James Morris

Hello nabeh,

I hope you are well today.

When I attempted to ping your domain, I got a request timed out. This indicates that your DNS isn't working correctly or has not fully propagated. You may need to give it a little time for the DNS to update.

It's also possible that you have some conflicting redirects. If there have been any changes made to your .htaccess file, you may want to restore the default values to eliminate any conflicts.

Here's a default multisite .htaccess for you to use:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    # add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    </IfModule>
    # END WordPress

Just to cover all bases, you may also want to temporarily disable any plugins on the site by navigating to wp-content/ via FTP and renaming the plugins folder to old-plugins/. That way if you have any plugins installed that handle redirects (like Domain Mapping) it will disable them until you can get into your site and perform deeper troubleshooting.

Please let us know if this leads to a solution for you. If not, reply back here and we'll be happy to dig in further for you! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• nabeh

Thank you for the reply, unfortunately that hasn't worked, the DNS is configured correctly, i really don't know what is causing this, a little more information, the instance which got terminated had a wordpress multisite using the same domain, after the unfortunate incidence i pointed the domain to my new instance server IP address, when i try to reach the new wp multisite installation i receive the error http://africomputing.com/wp-signup.php?new=africomputing.com. i tried to restart the apache server and the error has changed to https://start/wp-signup.php?new=africomputing.com. quite confusing, kindly help me figure this out

• James Morris

Hello nabeh,

The symptoms you're describing indicate that there is a configuration issue with the server itself. In order to help you better with your issue, would you please grant me access to your server and site?

Please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Select "I have a different question" from the drop-down box.

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Domain Registrar Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- Hosting Control Panel Login
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.