X.Commerce Application Process - Marketpress & Fundraiser

In both Marketpress and Fundraiser are options that require you to receive a special App ID. Marketpress requires this for Chained Payments, and Fundraiser requires this for Crowdsourcing.

The following is a basic outline of the general workflow that you would encounter when setting this up in either plugin. It will start with Getting the PayPal API and progress through the x.commerce application.

The first portion of the process requires you to activate and fill in your API Information.

An API signature consists of an API username along with an associated API password and signature, all of which are assigned by PayPal. You need to include this information whenever you execute a PayPal API operation.

To create an API signature:
1. Log in to PayPal, then click Profile under My Account.
2. Click My selling tools.
3. Click API Access.
4. Click Request API Credentials.
5. Check Request API signature and click Agree and Submit.

Then you'll see a screen similar to the following:

This information will fill all but one box. The final box is preceded by a note:

You must register this application with PayPal using your business account login to get an Application ID that will work with your API credentials. A bit of a hassle, but worth it! In the near future we will be looking for ways to simplify this process. Register then submit your application while logged in to the developer portal. Note that you do not need an Application ID for testing in sandbox mode. More Information »

Here is where the special Permission comes in. You have to submit your application, giving some basic details of your site, just so that PayPal knows you're not a scam site and legitimately processing delayed payments.

So, it's easier than you think. Just visit this link https://www.x.com/developers/paypal

Then click Sign Up in the upper right corner.

You will be asked to register with your ebay or PayPal account information. This is the only way you can register, there is no separate password/username for this site.

Once you are registered and logged in you will need to Navigate to “My Account” in the upper right corner. Then click “New App” in the left menu that comes up.

OK, now here is your cheat sheet for the application! There will also be two example applications at the end. One for Marketpress and one for Fundraiser.

Once that's done, it's a waiting game. It usually takes about a week, but may take up to 10 days if there are no issues.

You may get an email saying more information is needed. If so, just visit your account page and click on “Status Messages” and reply accordingly.

Once you have been approved you will receive a letter like this via email containing the APP ID:

Simply transfer the ID to the appropriate box in your plugin payments page and you are ready!

Here are a few tips direct from the x.commerce folks for filling out your app:

Also, here are a few pointers for the App Review process to make it as speedy as possible (this assumes the prerequisites such as a Premier or Business Verified account are already fulfilled):

- Only select API's in the 'Services Used by App' section of the x.com submission that your app is currently using.

- For all API's selected, we will need to test the payment flow against our Sandbox test environment. Please provide all details for this in the 'Testing Information' section:

URL’s, test accounts for your site, test items, etc.

- If you are using Preapprovals (i.e. an 'Advanced' API), please attach a Cert. of Incorporation or similar document showing your company as a currently registered business entity to the 'Business Information' section of your submission.

- If you have selected 'Chained Payments', please ensure to complete the Primary and Secondary Recipient fields aswell as the 'Who pays the fees' selection.

- For all API's, please ensure to include an estimate of your average transaction price and monthly payment volume in the 'Expected monthly payment volume and average transaction amount in US$' section.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Kimberly,

Wow! what a great job and thank you for this.

Hopefully this will help a lot of members resolve their issues fighting with x.com and trying to figure out what/how to submit for the special app id.

Thanks again, GREAT Job!

Cheers, Joe

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks @KimberlyL for putting this together.

While it does not apply to my situation specifically, it will be very, very helpful as I make my application because you've got all the info in ONE place. PayPal and X.com seems to have purposely made this information difficult (although they claim to be looking for an easier way) to discourage those that would exploit the system for bad. Not a bad idea on their part, but it sure does make it hard for legitimate people to get their things approved.

BTW, my last one took less than 48 hours to get approved - I don't know if their workload was minimal at the time or if it was because it was a variation of an application that someone had already gotten approved. Regardless, it was about as painless as I could ever ask for. I've heard horror stories though and I dread my next one because there's NO BASIS for them to compare it to.

Once again, a HUGE THANKS for this.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• min_us
    • The Bug Hunter

ok now what do you do with and how do you use the APP in the Marketpress plugin in. i got a email saying "Congratulations! The application, Egyptian market , you submitted to the PayPal Developer Network has been conditionally approved! Your App ID will be activated to make Live API calls within 24 hours. Please do the following:

Replace the Test App ID with your live App ID in the code" where in the code to i replace the App ID?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Jafar,

You need to go to the Network Admin >> Settings >> MarketPress >> Under Gateway Permissions / PayPal Chained Payments Select All can use and then when you scroll down, you would see the PayPal Chained Payments Settings

There you can put the information.

Please advise if that answered your question.

Cheers
    PC

• min_us
    • The Bug Hunter

another question? when i try and go through the check out process it takes me to the payment information page nothing comes up. and i don't see where the costumer can put there information and finish the check out process. is it because this is with in the 24 hours " Your App ID will be activated to make Live API calls within 24 hours. Please do the following"

http://cornertheegyptianmarket.com/store/shopping-cart/checkout/

A little help please.

Jafar Amin

• Fanus van Straten
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

OK now I am confused since I have been issued with both a test and a live Application ID immediately and the email below so what am I supposed to enter as the App ID under Marketpress Network Settings:

Congratulations! The application, My e-Shop , you submitted to the PayPal Developer Network has been conditionally approved! Your App ID will be activated to make Live API calls within 24 hours. Please do the following:

Replace the Test App ID with your live App ID in the code.
    Your Live App ID is: APP-XXXXXXXXXXXX
    Make sure you replace your Sandbox API credentials with your live API credentials.

Please be aware that this is a conditional approal. In the future, we may contact you for additional information. If you do get contacted, please respond as quickly as possible to avoid any interruptions to your service.

• Fanus van Straten
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

In Marketpress network settings I have setup a PayPal sandbox account with a Gmail address and I have left the Application ID field empty as per instructions.

Now when I try and purchase somthing on one of the sub-siyes (with domain mapping) I get the following error:

There was a problem connecting to PayPal to setup your purchase. Please try again.
    •520009 - Account xxxxxxx@gmail.com is restricted

Why is it so complicated to get something that seems so simple to work?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Fanus van Straten,

Thank you for the great question but you posted the obvious in your post.

First mistake is using the mostly erratic sandbox, but the telling item is this 520009 - Account xxxxxxx@gmail.com is restricted which is a PayPal account issue and the account will not work for this purpose.

By the way, you should have opened a ticket and not have posted here on this instruction sticky.

However, I will lock it down to make sure it does not happen again, our mistake.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.