Yesterday I got stucked in the pluggin translation page

Yesterday I got stucked in the pluggin translation page and realise when I went on the second that, not only I had to translate the very same sentences for the two but even for the same pluggin... It made me feel like you and all members and I was losing time.

I mean, isn't there a way to translate the very same thing for all (pluggins, themes...) in once ?

Don't tell me that's impossible. I mean it's only a data base procedure and so much would be done in so little time (translations and corrections) even for the product that are not yet created (only particularities left to transalted one by one).

Just my 2 cents
people are so busy, that sometimes
they just dont see the obvious...

But maybe I'm wrong here and would like to know if there's a reason for the choice you have made for this.

Regards
Corinne

• corinne
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi there

I sure do well and hope you too.

LOL... reading myself I wondered either... O.O
    Sorry I'm french, but I'm going to try hard making it clear...

Many applications have the very same words to translate.
    (yes, no, status, ... really A lot... of basic stuffs)

So here is the question : Why do we have to translate each of them for each pluggin, when it could be done in one time for all (of them), in working oncommon database (extraction would be on the application field name)

That would translate the same sentence for all existing and applications to come.

It seems so obvious that I've wondered why you have chosen an other way... (maybe there's reason.and maybe since then it still stands or not).

Hope that's not too blurry
    Regards
    Corinne.

• Michael Bissett
    • Recruit

Hey @corinne, thanks for your patience here! :slight_smile:

I think I understand what you mean now, you're wondering why basic words (like "Yes", "No", etc.) have to be translated inside of each plugin, instead of having just one place inside of WordPress that plugins can refer to for translations of those kinds of words.

WordPress requires translators to do things this way, due to the system that's used to handle translations for plugins & themes (WordPress uses the gettext library to handle translations).

You can find a brief explanation of the process here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/I18n_for_WordPress_Developers#Introduction_to_Gettext

You can keep reading to learn more about the translation process, if it's your pleasure.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.