Yet Another Multi-site Question

I know this question has been asked a million times, I just want to make sure that I get this right,
I have an existing non-multi-site that has been in production for some time. I am not using BuddyPress, I am using Mingle on this specific site for membership etc.
I want to add wiki and ask functionality to the site, but the current theme is not going to handle rendering wiki or ask very nicely, and I don't want to change the main theme.
I want to make sure that the logins stay the same, in other words, if they goto the wiki area or ask area they will have the exact credentials as they had at the main site and vice-versa.
I don't want to wreck the main site by moving it to a multisite.
Is all this possible?

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Greetings and thanks for posting on the forums.

Almost everything is possible its just that we need to use the right approach.

If I were you, I would convert the single site in multisite and then create a subsite as wiki.mainsite.com and use a different theme on that site and will link it back to the main site as well.

That ways it will be separate on the subsite.

I want to make sure that the logins stay the same, in other words, if they goto the wiki area or ask area they will have the exact credentials as they had at the main site and vice-versa.

You can use the same login details by using a plugin like : http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/ and that will control the WordPress login on both the network site and subsite.

However, I will also make sure that before I make any changes on the live site, I will create a sandbox (test site) and test things out.

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if you have more questions on the same.

Cheers, PC

• Kilmanagh
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I will try that on my sandbox and see how It goes.. I am a little worried, I had the same errors with that website as I did my multiwebsite where I couldn't download from MPMU. I managed to get it working again.

I think the offending plugin is OIK plugin pack, which is a shame because I love that plugin. I wish they had something like that here,
    It also causes my blogs.dir not to work properly with nextgen, and that was a permanent and non fixable. I do not know what some of these plugins do to core Wordpress files.

I will backup my installation before trying to convert it over to WU in case something fails. This is my most important website I have out there.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Almost everything is possible its just that we need to use the right approach.

Perfectly said....

Hey @Kilmanagh

You should be find but you would want to buy yourself a cheap domain name for testing purposes and try it out there first to make sure your plugins all work on multisite.

Your user sync questions, everything works quite nicely in terms of users sharing data between sites.

Make sure your host meets the pre install specs for multi site before the upgrade. http://codex.wordpress.org/Before_You_Create_A_Network

Also install this plugin, it's great for backing up Wordpress networks... A good tip is to also backup Wordpress XML Exports as well as the database. (Wordpress XML's are really handy for restoring in multisite without disrupting other settings or sites)

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/backwpup/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Billy

• Kilmanagh

Got it to work... any suggestions on proper permalink settings for multisites?
    also, what would the best themes be for wiki the ask plugins that work with buddypress? I am going to attempt to change from mingle to buddypress.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

maybe double check the permissions just in case its not something like 644 .etc

Your right it could possible be a theme or plugin but I would double check the permissions first if you haven't already, it might save you some hassle

• Kilmanagh

yeah they are 777, 755. It uploads, they are in there. just the theme isn't snagging it. It shows empty space in the theme header area. Its fine. I liked the theme but I was going to switch over to a buddypress one anyways. Im gonna make the sandbox subsite and use some images as see if it gives me any problems

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hiya,

Upload problems are generally caused by incorrect permissions as Billy advised above.

However, you can try switching themes and see if that fixes the issue. If it doesn't it will be the time to go in full blown troubleshooting mode :slight_smile:

Cheers, PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.