yet more questions

well it seems like the further I get into my project the less and less I realize that I know lol.

Anyway heres a few more questions for ya.

1.) I noticed edublogs has a where ppl are from thing on its page... like where in the world... I know I saw that being possible in buddypress but in my case I think buddypress may retract from the sellability of my project. Is this possible on just plain multisite?

2.) While I was workin with the showcase theme theres a lot on it I like, however theres also a lot on the edublogs theme I like... and since I have no idea how to make a theme yet Ill custom design one after I launch so for now Ill stick with the established themes.... Is there a good way to take somthing like the showcase image rotator and throw it in a edublogs clean image area? Namely the one that people not signed in see? Id like to show features of my site on somthing like that and obviously if youve already signed up you dont need to see why they should join.

There will be many more questions coming as I keep coming up with new nice ideas without the knowledge to implement em so I know Ill be back with them. Which I apologize for the billion questions Ive been posting... some of you probably are startin to get annoyed with answering my questions all day but ya... If I dont ask Ill never get anywhere with this site.

• DavidM

Hiya LCDist,

I'll take a look at your queries inline!

1.) I noticed edublogs has a where ppl are from thing on its page... like where in the world... I know I saw that being possible in buddypress but in my case I think buddypress may retract from the sellability of my project. Is this possible on just plain multisite?

Would you happen to have a link to that specifically on Edublogs? I was trying to find that but figured you might have been referring to the About widgets on various sites?

Also, Edublogs doesn't use BuddyPress, so anything you see on there should be doable with your non-BuddyPress site as well!

2.) While I was workin with the showcase theme theres a lot on it I like, however theres also a lot on the edublogs theme I like... and since I have no idea how to make a theme yet Ill custom design one after I launch so for now Ill stick with the established themes.... Is there a good way to take somthing like the showcase image rotator and throw it in a edublogs clean image area? Namely the one that people not signed in see? Id like to show features of my site on somthing like that and obviously if youve already signed up you dont need to see why they should join.

It is possible to copy elements from one theme to the next, but it really is a complex procedure in many cases, and would be a complex procedure in the case of moving that Flash-based slider from Showcase to another theme.

It can be done, but it's highly recommended to get a WordPress theme developer to handle those types of things.

Displaying theme elements differently to users actually could be as simple as including the is_user_logged_in() function in various portions of your theme, though you could also use the Membership plugin to provide that type of functionality.

There will be many more questions coming as I keep coming up with new nice ideas without the knowledge to implement em so I know Ill be back with them. Which I apologize for the billion questions Ive been posting... some of you probably are startin to get annoyed with answering my questions all day but ya... If I dont ask Ill never get anywhere with this site.

Not a problem at all with the questions. We're happy to help, just takes a moment to get responses in sometimes!

Cheers,
    David

• LCDist

#1 the where they are thing is at the very bottom of your screen, least it is on firefox... theres a button at the bottom of the main screen that says #of online then when you hover over it it says whos online and where are they from.... then if you click on it you get a map.

#2 And ok, I may try to get all my thoughts together on what I want exactly and maybe throw it over in the jobs listing and see if I get a bite. not sure how much it would cost though heh.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.