Yet more WPMU plugin incompatibilities with Upfront theme

OK so I downloaded Pay with a Like, installed it and activated it. As soon as I did the background image on my home page disappeared. I deactivated it and the background image comes back again.
I dont want to be a smart-ass but really how much cross plugin testing are you doing? Nearly nothing that has an effect in the UI works out-of-the-box with upfront. What is going on?

• Rupok

Hi Lindon,

I'm so sorry for the inconvenience you have had. We will try our level best to resolve the issue for you. I tried to regenerate the issue on my test site but I could not. I activated "Spirit" Upfront Child theme on my test site and then activated Pay with a Like, but my background was working absolutely perfect and could not notice any change in any functionality. So I'm afraid, this is your site specific issue.

Just to make sure no other plugin is conflicting with this, can you please do a plugin conflict test? To know more about plugin conflict test, you can check this guide: http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I could tell you better about the issue if I could see it live, check your current configuration and make some tests on your site. Would you mind allowing Support Access so we can have a closer look at this?

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    http://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

I'm looking forward to hear from you and resolve this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Lindon

OK well, we could go round this process again, but here's the situation.

1. its a LIVE site - so I'm not doing anything to break it - and I can tell you what you suggest WILL break it.
    2. I have upfront AND marketpress installed - I (and you support guys) have made a HUGE amount of changes to the CSS to make it look anything like it should, every time you tell me to update to the latest version of upfront it breaks nearly all this work and I have to re-do it all - well no more.
    3. Everything was working until I installed and activated Pay-with-a-like, when I DEACTIVATE pay-with-a-like it all works again, so as I said in my original mail - its Pay-with-a-like that isn't playing well with upfront.
    4. So I have granted you support access (again) so you cna have a look.

• Nithin

Hi Lindon,

Hope you are doing good today.

I do understand that it's a live site, but plugin conflict, is always one of the major issues that occur, and a conflict test helps us in ruling out the issues.

I tried to replicate this issue in my website, but it seems to work fine. I checked your website further, and it seems like the issue is more of a conflict from the minification settings, when we activate Pay With a Like Plugin.

Most probably the cause of the issue is due to activating Pay With a Like plugin, after you have configured your minification settings, and hence the minification settings for Pay With a Like is missing, and when we try to activate the plugin, a conflict arises which isn't a common one, and it seems to be site specific.

The Pay With a Like plugin didn't show the issue as you mentioned once I disabled the minification settings, what you could do is, once you activate the Pay with a Like plugin, re-check your minification files, and configure the minification settings, if needed.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give a closer look, if needed. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Lindon

OK so I activated Pay-With-A-Like, and went to hummingbird, I pressed the re-check my files button, waited for the test to finish (pay-wit-a-like-js is now in there) and pressed save changes.

Still no background image on the home page, in fact all the background images(to be fair that's only the About page as well) are now missing.

So next I put ALL the javascript and CSS back in its original place and saved that. Still the images are missing.

So next I turned minification off for all files. Still no background image.

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lindon,

Pay With a Like is throwing JS error

Uncaught ReferenceError: pwal_data is not defined

that is bug in Pay With a Like that we recently found and that one breaks other JS - and Upfront need JS to have working backgrounds. That is not incompatibility with Upfront - that error will break things (like ajax login forms) also on other themes.

Good news is that this was found and reported and developer is working on fixing it.
    I will add your thread to bug report so after we will get fix, me or developer will post here solution.

Have a great day.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lindon,

Could you be so kind and grant us again support access? I had discussion with Nithin about your site and that particular issue and there is possibility that I am wrong on this one. I was convinced that it is bug because I saw the same error from Pay WIth A Like plugin - error that shows because PWAL is adding one of its scripts in place where that script should not be - thus dependencies for that script were missing.
    So I would like to investigate this issue further on your site with your permission.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska

Hello Lindon,

Could you be so kind and grant us again support access? I had discussion with Nithin about your site and that particular issue and there is possibility that I am wrong on this one. I was convinced that it is bug because I saw the same error from Pay WIth A Like plugin - error that shows because PWAL is adding one of its scripts in place where that script should not be - thus dependencies for that script were missing.
    So I would like to investigate this issue further on your site with your permission.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Nithin

Hi Lindon,

Apologies for any confusion, I gave a closer look, and I can confirm that I was able to make this work, once I disabled Hummingbird minification, ie the background image appeared once I disabled minification, while Pay with a like plugin was active. I also asked one of my colleagues to test this, and he was also able to make this work when minification was disabled. Could you please clear you browser cache, and check whether it works fine when you disable minification? We tested this in Chrome browser.

The issue seems to be that you are enabling the plugin once the website is minifed, and hence the minifed scripts are causing conflicts with the plugin. As mentioned in my previous reply, what you'll have to do is re-check your minified files while Pay with a like is enabled, so that the plugin is also minified.

You might have to tweak the plugin by moving the files to header, or footer according to how your website behaves. Since, it's a live website, I didn't make any changes to it, could you please test these, and see whether it helps.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could give any closer look. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Lindon

Sigh... clearly you are STILL not reading the post I sent on Mon Oct 17 2016, 4:08:07 PM, its above here please read it.

So, anyway. I went to my site....
    1. Activated Pay-With--A-Like
    2. Cleared the browser cache.
    3. Reloaded the site, and the image was missing(As expected)
    4. Went to hummingbird and pressed re-check site.
    5. Waited for the test to finish
    6. pressed Save Changes
    7. Cleared the browser cache again.
    8. Re-loaded the site...STILL NO IMAGE!!!

So clearly you are doing something I'm no doing, what am I doing wrong?

• Nithin

Hi Lindon,

Sorry for not being clear from my side, I checked your minified plugins/theme filter under Hummingbird > Minification, and it didn't list Pay with a like in the plugin filter, nor the files are shown as minified in the dashboard. This made me think, that the files still hasn't been re-checked.

In the above screenshot, the Pay with a like plugin is not listed, nor it's shown as minified, but on checking the front end the files are actually being minified. I tried to replicate this, but the plugin is listed in my test server in the dashboard.

It seems like the order in which the scripts are being loaded is causing the images to not load. I'm pinging the developer asking to give a look regarding this, either myself, or the developer will keep you posted on this asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin

Hi Lindon,

I was able to get a feedback regrading this from the developer, Hummingbird won't list any JS, or CSS files in the dashboard unless it finds Pay with a like plugin working on some pages, could you please configure the plugin? And once done, the plugin files will be listed under, Hummingbird > Minification, hence you can move these files to the header, or footer to resolve the issue caused by the background image not loading.

Please let us know how that goes, so that we could help get this sorted asap. Have a nice day.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin