Your opinion to the following dialog would mean lots to us...

Valued Support Team,

now it's time to change our shared server towards VPS as always suggested by you. However, before we do such step please be so kind read the following dialog we had with bluehost and advise us can we trust the given answer to avoid future trouble with our application.

(10:53) [PRINZ] please advise if we would choose a VPS solution with Bluehost can we test it for a month to see would that change our issue?
(10:54) [Caleb] That is possible, I can get you to billing and you can ask them about trying it for a month but not sure if they are able to give you that

(10:55) [PRINZ] which database restriction would we have with vps?
(10:56) [Caleb] I am not sure on that, I work with shared server accounts, I don’t work with VPS accounts, that is a separate support line
(10:57) [PRINZ] please can you connect me to the right supporter to get those type of questions answered?
(10:58) [Caleb] Yeah one moment, I will get you over to our sales and they should be able to answer questions about a VPS
(10:58) [PRINZ] thanks

(11:0) [Andrew] Hello PRINZ
(11:1) [Andrew] thank you for contacting Bluehost
(11:1) [Andrew] how may I assist you today?
(11:1) [PRINZ] Hello Andrew, am pleased talking to you
(11:1) [PRINZ] we experience limitation issues with shared server. Before we choose a plan to change to VPS please let us ask a few question:

(11:2) [PRINZ] which database restriction are given on a vps basic account?
(11:5) [PRINZ] most importantly what about running multi-db on such account.... in short which are the any restriction?
(11:8) [Andrew] there are no db restrictions on VPS

(11:8) [PRINZ] would we have root access with vps?
(11:10) [Andrew] yes, you get root access with VPS?

(11:11) [PRINZ] upgrading to vps which steps are necessary we have to do or is bluehost setting us up and moving our wp multi-site application including multi-db?

(11:13) [Andrew] you would have to pay for the upgrade and then wait until the upgrade migration is finished. I would have to go over a few things with you before you upgrade though

(11:14) [PRINZ] apart of monthly fee which cost would be on top? How much are the upgrade fees?
(11:17) [Andrew] none but keep in mind each plan renews month by month

(11:17) [PRINZ] how much time would it approx. take to get a move done?
(11:20) [Andrew] between 4-8 hours

(11:20) [PRINZ] to ensure I understand everything correct, bluehost does the move, apart from monthly fee at no additional cost?
(11:22) [Andrew] that is correct However our plans are not scaleable so you would have to cancel in case you’ll change the plan and then sign up for a higher package and move the files manually if you ever need to upgrade

(11:24) [PRINZ] what if changing to vps still does not solve our limit issues with multi-db... is it possible to downgrade to shared server within one month
(11:27) [Andrew] you would have to cancel the VPS and open the new shared and manually move your files if you want to move bac down to shared

(11:27) [PRINZ] we first wish to test if vps really does solve our issues... can we go for one month first instead of paying one year upfront (despite saving right now)?
(11:32) [Andrew] you would have to get 3 months

(11:33) [PRINZ] finally please let me know for how many years would we be bound to bluehost if we go with vps?
(11:34) [Andrew] what do you mean?
(11:35) [PRINZ] assuming vps solves our issue... we only would use standard as long as develop then moving to premium
(11:37) [Andrew] no, you cannot upgrade from one VPS plan to another

(11:37) [PRINZ] big thanks for answering our questions...
(11:38) [Andrew] We value your feedback!
(11:38) [Andrew] thank you
(11:38) [Andrew] :slight_smile:
(11:38) [PRINZ] bye for now

We are looking forward hearing from you soon.
Kind regards
Prinz

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Prinz,

I hope you are well today and thank you for your question.

It seems from the above conversation that all will be well so i suggest you to create a replica of your site on the VPS which will work as your test site to test and confirm that everything is working fine.

As you have to at least pay for 3 months for it so just test your test site on VPS for a month or two then move your live site on it.

Also as you cannot upgrade from one VPS plan to another so i think for first three months you should choose standard plan and then if everything goes well in testing then move to premium plan if you want to.

Please advise if you have more questions.

Best Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Vinod,

thanks for prompt reply. Yes we do have two more questions to this subject:

- Seriously, do you really trust that VPS will eliminate our multi-db issues?
    - When moving to VPS do we still receive the highly valued support from WPMU Dev?

Looking forward to your answers.
    Cheers
    Prinz

• Vinod Dalvi
    • WP Unicorn

Hi Prinz,

- Seriously, do you really trust that VPS will eliminate our multi-db issues?

What are those issues?

- When moving to VPS do we still receive the highly valued support from WPMU Dev?

Even if the VPS is not our product though we'll help you however possible.

Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Vinod,

would you mind to ask your colleague Jude what exactly the multi-db is because he as a professional could explain it much better than we (all I can state is we have quite a few access problem).

Jude was several time so helpful to get those problems at least reduced to a minimum but he always recommended too to change provider to VPS.

Please do us the favor and find it out - if possible together with Jude - would the VPS version we have in mind finally solve the db problem forever?

Big thanks for your efforts.
    Prinz

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Vinod,

sorry in case you misunderstood previous message. Of course you - as highly skilled professional - know what multi-db is, but we novices, we have just a roughly idea. So we asked you to contact Jude for the purpose only, to ensure you are better off to talk with a professional of your caliber instead with us. And Jude knows best the real issue we have with our multi-db.

By this occasion we are wondering, did you speak with Jude already about our question we filed with this support request?

Please let us know.
    Big thanks for helping - and once again really sorry, in case we expressed wrong.

Regards
    Prinz

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @Prinz

I hope you are well today.

If you use a VPS you will have full control over everything - your web server, mysql etc. So you will be able to configure on your own choice. So I believe the DB issue will be fixed in a VPS.

Though, I am not aware of your issue with multi-db, I have sent another message to Jude so that he can chime in and suggest :slight_smile:

Cheers
    Ash

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hi again Prinz,

Sorry about the delay here. Appreciate your patience.

Im pretty sure more resources (VPS) will make a HUGE difference to your site. I am not sure if this config can is ideal. I was thinking of maybe 4 GB RAM given the number of DBs and plugins you run. At 128 MB per PHP process you can handle only 16 users simultaneously and at 96 MB you can handle 20 users simultaneously. This is on the higher side but Im not counting system processes.

I recommend you get a free trial VPS and setup the site there. Then perform load testing on the site especially the DB component and if it works to your satisfaction you can continue otherwise you can upgrade.

I don't want you to upgrade now and it works till you get it live when there is not much load and then 2 months from now when you get a lot of users the site again starts crashing once its public facing.

I advice you find a host who gives you atleast one FREE month to try and test before paying money. I can maybe help with suggestions.

Cheers
    Jude

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Jude,

we appreciate much your advice and explanation. We tried to get a free trial period from Bluehost but our request was denied.

Yes, if you don't mind we would be more than happy taking your offered help finding another affordable provider... with a free trial period.

BTW: We deactivated JETPACK plugin and recognized, since we had only once access trouble to our database and we believe, this was just the case because we were to quick entering the next task. Is it really important to have JETPACK activated?

Looking forward hearing from you again.
    Cheers
    Prinz

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Ash,

great hearing from you again. We just checkout the recommended provider but we are not sure which plan to choose.

So we are wondering would the hostPro + Turbo the right plan for us? The features on this plan would be ... (please follow this link):

http://www.site5.com/hosting/web/#resource_usage

Also would you believe the FREE Migration considers also our Multi-DB installation?

We will migrate your current account for FREE!

Moving to Site5 has never been easier! With our free migration service, this process is streamlined by our expert migration administrators! We will move your website files and databases from your old web hosting account to your new Site5 hosting account!

Once your order is activated, simply request your migration via Backstage. Our migration experts will handle everything and are available 24 hours a day Monday-Friday.

Note:

We will migrate up to 25 cPanel accounts or up to 10 non-cPanel web hosting accounts (website files & MySQL databases only) -- free of charge for web hosting, reseller hosting, and cloud hosting. For VPS hosting, we can certainly migrate more accounts within reason. Contact us if you have any questions about this!

Looking forward listening to your advice.
    Kind regards
    Prinz

• Jude
    • DEV MAN

Hey Prinz,

The links you shared are for shared hosting. It is not better than the one you are using now.

Try this page instead

http://www.site5.com/vps/

Also my colleague Hoang recommended a VPS host to me (cheap one) sometime back

https://neximweb.com/cloud-servers/budget-servers/

Also I personally use this one, excellent host and great service .. but a bit expensive. I can speak to them if you want a free trial.

https://squidix.com/hosting/managed-vps/

Cheers
    Jude

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Jude,

first let me say thank you as we heartily do appreciate so much your personal engagement to help us out.

Looked at the VPS version you suggested. It worries me a bit that there is now root access (see Site5's "No Worry" Full Management (without root access) but we remember previous exchanged mails you mentioned once we do need root access.

We are really tempted to take this offer. Well would be so fabulous a trial period and perhaps they have as a starter a much cheaper plan (as we do not know currently, will we be successful with our web application... in case we wouldn't means we would have to pay monthly a very high fee for a longer period of time).

Also to consider our application is still not finish which will take probably another few month.

And what about the move from bluehost to site5? Does site5 offer this for free too?

In short, you were so kind offering us to speak with them and we would love to take your kind offer. If site5 can do for the sake of our project (while accepting current situation) a better deal we certainly value that highest... of course we would love to move the application rather yesterday then tomorrow :smiley:

Thanks for your attention. Looking forward hearing from you.

Kind regards
    Prinz

• Klaus
    • The Crimson Coder

Hello Jude, Hello Ash,

we do appreciate so much knowing your help choosing the best provider and plan. Now were I sighted all recommendation you made we are entirely overwhelmed about all info's we read... but not really knowing what that means.

Jude you recommended (if the comment was dedicated to that link) the one you personally use which is https://neximweb.com/cloud-servers/ddos-protected-budget-servers/ .

Can you tell me does such a VPS server also have a cPanel (as we are used to it)?

Would that PRODUCTION plan be a good choice? Not sure with their offer about moving (including all needed mandatory steps like installation). Do you know that's for free when signing up for this plan?

Thanks in advance.
    Prinz

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.