Help me please. Blocked access to the WordPress back-office.

Details.

Active child-theme: Koupon.
Parent-theme: Clipper.

What.
Hello. When I try logging in to my website http://www.example.com/wp-admin I get the following error message: "Your site administrator has blocked access to the WordPress back-office."

Why?
While the child-theme is active, I can edit the core settings of the parent-theme. I edited some setting via Clipper and mistakenly disabled back office setting in Clipper>settings>security>back office access>disable.

While doing diagnostics, the following things were done.

1. I accessed my Cpanel and used "file manager" to locate the "themes"-folder and renamed the "Clipper" theme.
2. This caused a default theme named "twentyfifteen" to load instead. This gave me access to backoffice.
3. I deleted the clipper theme-folder, and did a re-install of Clipper.
4. Upon activating a fresh instal of the "clipper"-theme, the same thing happened again. Access Denied. "Your site administrator has blocked access to the WordPress back-office."

"

Please help. I don´t know what to do. I don´t want to start over again with Koupon as I want to keep the settings and .php edits I did.

I have installed the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin already, and eagerly awating a fix.

Kind regards
Dan-Louis

• Michelle Shull

Hello, Dan! Happy Sunday!

Great job on getting the dashboard plugin installed, can you go to the support access tab on our dashboard and grant us a look around?

I'm guessing there's a setting that may be sticking in your database, let's see if we can't get that fixed.

Just to be sure, when you've got the parent theme active, everything is okay, correct? Activating the child theme causes the problem?

Which files did you add to your child theme from the parent theme? Do you have more than just a CSS file in the child theme folder?

Can you copy the first few lines of the CSS file in your child theme here? You can edit out any details you don't want to share, I just want to make sure it's properly calling the parent theme.

Thanks, Dan!

• Dee. L

@Michelle Shull Yes! Tyler told me you were on the front line!

Great job on getting the dashboard plugin installed, can you go to the support access tab on our dashboard and grant us a look around?

Access granted for 72 hours.

Just to be sure, when you've got the parent theme active, everything is okay, correct? Activating the child theme causes the problem?

The child theme won´t work until the parent theme is activated first. When I do that, I instantly lose access.

Which files did you add to your child theme from the parent theme? Do you have more than just a CSS file in the child theme folder?

Can you copy the first few lines of the CSS file in your child theme here? You can edit out any details you don't want to share, I just want to make sure it's properly calling the parent theme.

I´ve learned much, but I freeze up when you ask these questions. All I did was change some settings, and edit the .php files in both the parent theme and child theme in order to translate buttons, guide-text etc.

Thank you, Shull! Much appreciated, as always :slight_smile:

• Dee. L

HI again.

I was late with my reply, and waited for yours. Too impatient to just sit here doing nothing, so I deleted everything and gave it a new shot with a completely fresh install.

Guess what. It happened again. This time though I was smart enough to view the page source and it gave me the following coding:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html>

<head>
    <title>Access Denied.</title>
    <link rel="stylesheet" target="_blank" href="http://example.com/wp-admin/css/install.css" type="text/css" />
    </head>

<body id="error-page">

<p>Access Denied. Your site administrator has blocked access to the WordPress back-office.</p>

</body>

</html>

• Dee. L

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know I solved it.

I downloaded a plugin called "Wordpress Database Reset", as I figured it had to do with admin accounts.

It turns out it was the admin settings, but there was nothing to be changed as the default admin was the "admin" that you usually create when you install wordpress for the first time.

In my case, I had a different admin, but with all rights. The only difference was the name. Something in the .css or .php file somewhere told the theme to deny access to anyone but the default "admin" which turned out to be a problem for me with the admin account being named something else.

I lost everything, but I managed to prevail. It has been one hell of a ride, but I learned so much. I should be able to give my self points for this, haha.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.