- Getting Started
- WPMU DEV
- Installing Plugins & Themes Via Composer
- Using WPMU DEV
- Installing the WPMU DEV Dashboard Plugin
- Download WPMU DEV Plugins & Themes
- Download Plugin & Theme Previous Versions
- WPMU DEV Translations
- How to Open a Support Ticket
- Get Support from the Community
- Getting Live Support
- Grant WPMU DEV Support Access
- Support vs Custom Development
- How Free Trials Work
- Live Chat – House Rules
- The Good Support Ticket
- Plugins & Themes
- Setup, Usage & Integration
Adding users to a WordPress site using Add New
The Add New page is designed so that you can either:
- Create a new username for a person who isn’t already a user on your network and at the same time add that new user to the site
- Add an existing user on your network to that site
If you would like your users to be able to create and add usernames to their sites using Users > Add New you first need to enable it in Settings in the Network Admin dashboard.
Enabling access to the Users > Add New page is as simple as:
1. Go to Settings > Network Settings in the network admin dashboard.
2. Select ‘Allow site administrators to add new users to their site via the “Users->Add New” page” under Registration settings.
3. Click on Save Changes at the bottom of the page.
To use Users > Add New
1. Go to Users > Add New in the Site Admin dashboard.
2. For a new user, add a suitable username, their email address, select their role and click Add New User.
- For both existing and new users they will be sent an invitation email and they must click the confirmation link before they’re added as a user to the site.
- New users have 48 hours to click on the link in the email to activate their account otherwise you will need to re-setup their account.
- Spam filters, especially strict ones for institutional email addresses, often block these activation emails. If unsure use free webmail accounts such as gmail, hotmail that don’t block these invitation emails.
- Use only lowercase letters and numbers, with no spaces, in the username
- The username is what they use to sign into the site dashboard and is displayed on posts and comments they write. You can’t change a username, however you can change what name is displayed.
- It won’t allow you to create several usernames with the same email address because the system resets password based on email address. But you can trick it using the gmail+ method
When using Add New Users as a Super Admin user select “Add the user without sending them a confirmation email” – this adds the users to the site without them needing to click on the link in the confirmation email.
3. For an existing user add their username or email address attached to that username, select their role and click Add Existing User.
4. Once a new user clicks the link in the site invite email they will be sent an email with their username, their password and a login link
5. Confirmed users are then listed as users on your Users > All Users page and only be able to access features in your site’s administration panel based on the role you’ve assigned them.