- Getting Started
- WPMU DEV
- Installing Plugins & Themes Via Composer
- Using WPMU DEV
- Installing the WPMU DEV Dashboard Plugin
- Download WPMU DEV Plugins & Themes
- Download Plugin & Theme Previous Versions
- WPMU DEV Translations
- How to Open a Support Ticket
- Get Support from the Community
- Getting Live Support
- Grant WPMU DEV Support Access
- Support vs Custom Development
- How Free Trials Work
- Live Chat – House Rules
- The Good Support Ticket
- Plugins & Themes
- Setup, Usage & Integration
Creating usernames using the WordPress Network Admin Dashboard
Users > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard can be used by the Super Admin user to create new users.
Tips when creating usernames
- Use only lowercase letters and numbers in the usernames.
- Don’t have any spaces in the username.
- Users are sent an activation email when their username is created using the sign-up page — they need to click on the link in the activation email for their username to be created.
- Usernames are immediately created when you use Users > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard — users don’t need to click on the link in the activation email for their username to be created.
- Spam filters, especially strict ones for institutional email addresses, may well block username and login information from reaching users. In this case you should recommend users use free webmail accounts that won’t block the emails (such as gmail.com, hotmail.com or mail.yahoo.com).
- Until a username is activated you won’t be able to locate it within Users in the Network Admin dashboard. Users have 48 hours to click on link in activation email to activate their username.
- You can’t create several usernames with the same email address because each username needs its own unique email address. But you can trick it using the gmail+ method.
- If your users do not have email addresses you can use Gmail method however creating a large numbers users using one gmail account isn’t recommended because Super Admin user or one user will need to do all password resets.
Using Users > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard to Create Usernames
1. Go to Users > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard.
2. Add the Username and email address then click Add user
- Username can be changed to nickname by the user at any time by logging into their account and going to Users > Your Profile.
- The user is sent an email with their login details when their new username is created.
Batch creation options
Creating sites using Users > Add New in the Network Admin dashboard only allows you to create one username at a time.
You can batch create usernames by installing the following WPMU DEV plugins: