Only having Multisite main domain on HUB makes sense -- so I guess things are better now.
QUESTION: what if I can't change the "writable" aspect: When I try to fix I get the following:
"Your wp-config.php isn't writable"
1. By completely backing out and reinitiating SFTP I was able to see/access the plugins so I can manage them at this point.
2. The subdomain issue was resolved by ensuring the wildcard for the domain was in the dns and hosting domain listing.
3. THE CURRENT issue is that the HUB does not appear to recognize anything except the main site "XL2.com" and it is not recognizing it's own dashboard (when logged in) on the Multisite. It never allows the HUB Add Website function as FINISHED. So, I have the Multisite on the server with the main domain "XL2.com" as well as many subdomains (i.e., gcch.xl2.com) -- BUT the HUB only acknowledges the main domain "XL2.com"
Only the main site "XL2.com" is resolving both site and admin/dashboard
1. The new sites return blank (see image attached); and, the new site dashboards don't show up
2. The SFTP does not show the plugins in the folder (I can usually see them there), so I can't troubleshoot plugins via SFTP (see attached image)