Compatibility Multisite 4.2
avatars allows Multisite users to upload, manage and share profile and site avatars. From ‘selfies’ to company logos, images help us personally connect with other users and companies on the web.
This plugin integrates profile images in a way that feels native to WordPress core. Adding a simple avatars settings feature to the user profile, and a ‘Site Avatar’ option under ‘Settings’, brings a surprising new level of user participation.
Better design. Big payoff.
Add profile pictures to comments, friend lists, and member and site directories without having to configure a thing. WPMU DEV themes and directory plugins take full advantage of Avatars extensibility and offer complete plug-n-play integration.
More flexibility and safer than Gravatar
Rather than sending your users to a third party site like Gravatar, and not being able to control the avatars they use, this plugin allows you to manage and control the avatars used on your site.
Perfectly crop any image
Upload a picture, of any shape, and use the crop tool to make the perfect selection. Avatars are stored in their own unique folder, protecting your Media Library from getting filled with all the amazing profile images your users will be uploading.
User AND site avatars
You want users to have great avatars for commenting and to go in their author profiles, but what about when you want to list your sites in a directory or feature them on the homepage of your network? Avatars takes care of that problem by allowing users to set both personal AND site avatars.
Avatars comes with a feature set that includes:
- Both user and site avatar options
- Choose perfect trim and crop on upload
- Quickly enhance site design with included Avatars widget
- End-user setup and configuration
- Isolated avatar image directory for simplified Media Library navigation
- High level branding and user self-expression
- Fully WordPress and Multisite compatible
- Settings UI integrates flawlessly with Core
- Comment avatar code included with every WPMU DEV theme
- Instant avatar display with every WPMU DEV user and blog directory plugin
- High-quality code foundation for easy third-party theme and plugin integration
Connect usernames with faces and site titles with company branding – add profile images to WordPress with Avatars.
For help with installing plugins please refer to our Plugin installation guide.
Once installed navigate to Plugins in the network admin dashboard and network activate the plugin.
Please note: This plugin isn’t designed to be used with BuddyPress since it has its own inbuilt avatar system.
Using with bbPress
- Optionally you can network activate the Avatars (BBPress) plugin if you are using bbpress along with your WordPress install.
- If you have an integrated bbPress install, you can install this optional plugin to allow custom avatars in your bbPress template. This plugin will only work if your bbPress install is integrated to use the WordPress user table.
With this plugin, your users can upload both a ‘user avatar’ and a ‘blog avatar’ which displays on any comments they leave across your network and in site and user listings on your network.
Uploading your user avatar
1. Go to Users > Your Profile
2. Scroll to bottom of page and click on change avatar.
3. Browse to locate your Avatar and then click Upload.
4. Drag the select the area of your Avatar you want to include and then click Crop.
5. It’s done !
6: Here is now it looks in action
If you still see the original comment avatar try clearing your browser cache by holding the Ctrl key and pressing F5.
Uploading your blog avatar
1. Go to Settings > Blog Avatar
2. Browse to locate your Avatar and then click Upload.
3. Drag the select the area of your Avatar you want to include and then click Crop.
4. It’s done !
5. To display the blog avatar in your sidebar go to Appearance > Widgets and drag the Blog Avatar into the desired sidebar.
And as always, if you get stuck then pop over to the community and get your questions posted.