Communities adds powerful social features to Multisite without converting to a complete BuddyPress social network.
Share news, thoughts and ideas with individuals and groups.
Add a Bunch of Communities
Users can search for and join existing communities, or quickly create their own communities, by filling out a simple form.
Setup message boards, wikis, news areas and community dashboards with a click.
Each community has its own powerful message board with options to create multiple topics and threads. Stay in control with powerful moderation tools.
Make important conversations sticky and get valuable input.
Wikis Spread Big Ideas
Plus, each community also gets its own wiki. Get more done when members can add new pages, edit existing ones and even revert changes if required.
Wikis make it easy to share ideas with more, accurate information.
Enjoy simple social networking without having to configure all of BuddyPress with Communities for Multisite.
If you are upgrading from a version of the Communities plugin older than 1.1.8 please do the following first:
Remove Communities.php from /wp-admin
Remove Communities-framework.php from /wp-content/mu-plugins
For help with installing plugins please see our Plugin installation guide.
Go to Communities > Communities in your site admin dashboard
Create a new community by:
- Adding a name
- Adding a description
- Choosing if you want users to have to enter a code to join a private community
- Clicking Create
Join a community by:
- Go to Communities > Find Communities
- Add your search term and click Search
- Once located click Join or you can Send Message to Owner
Working with Message boards
Message boards work like a forum but are located inside the site admin dashboard.
Create a new topic on a Message board by:
- Go Communities > Communities
- Click on the Message Board action link next to the community you want to add it to
- Add the title, the content, and if you want select Yes to make it stick to the top of the message board and then click Post.
4. Users can click on the topic link on the Message board to reply or write their own new topic.
5. Here’s how simple it is to reply to a topic on a message board
Working with Wikis
The community wiki is designed to support a simple wiki within the site admin dasbhoard.
To create a wiki:
- Go to Communities > Communities
- Click on Wiki next to the community you want to create the wiki in
- Click on New Page
- Add your title, content and click Publish
Community owners and moderators have a Manage Communities menu item under Communities where they can edit, delete items and send news.
Only community owners and moderators can add News.
Multisite Gone Social
Communities is packed full of features.
- Allows users to create their own communities
- User interact integrates with dashboard
- Create and reply to topics using Message boards
- Easy-to-use internal wiki
- Send out news to community members
- Send messages to community members
- Simple community management
- Make communities public or private