"Simple integration, intuitive interface and comprehensive configuration options make this…" Jim Nelson - Tripawds Blog Community
"Simple integration, intuitive interface and comprehensive configuration options make this…" Jim Nelson - Tripawds Blog Community
"MarketPress is a wonderful plug-in and much easier than any other…" billkard
"MarketPress ROCKS! It's properly coded, responsive, and it works." craiger
"MarketPress is the best cart out there hands down–and we've…" craiger
"Simple integration, intuitive interface and comprehensive configuration options make this the best e-commerce plugin. "
"Simple integration, intuitive interface and comprehensive configuration options make this the best e-commerce plugin."
"MarketPress is a wonderful plug-in and much easier than any other solution I've tried."
"MarketPress ROCKS! It's properly coded, responsive, and it works."
"MarketPress is the best cart out there hands down–and we've been through them all."
Sell everything from digital downloads to physical goods. MarketPress is the eCommerce plugin that does it all – no extensions required.
MarketPress offers the easiest way to sell anything online with tons of built-in core features and simple configuration.
Whether you want to set up an individual storefront online or an entire eCommerce network for stores, MarketPress is the go-to solution for WordPress and Multisite SuperPowers.
Guide customers through browsing your products to adding items to their cart, and then on to checkout and delivery. You can even provide updates on the status of customer orders.
Built With Your Feedback
MarketPress 3.0 is our most ambitious plugin update to date. It brings together hundreds of hours of development time, along with member requests and feedback.
MarketPress has never been easier, from customer acquisition to checkout, and it keeps getting better.
Whether you want to sell custom t-shirts you designed and screen printed yourself in your garage, downloadable copies of your band’s latest EP, or even your time as a consultant, MarketPress makes it all possible.
All Shapes, Sizes, Colors And Materials
Variations have been written from the ground up, so now you can create unlimited and multiple colors, sizes and materials for any of your products and add unique product images to match.
Then display your products in a beautiful, built-in gallery.
Bundled Payment Gateways
Accept payments using 16 popular payment processors, including Stripe, PayPal and Authorize.net.
Make it easy for anyone to pay you. Smooth transaction processing is essential when building trust and customer loyalty.
2Checkout, Authorize.net AIM, Bitpay, eWay shared payments, eWay Rapid 3.0 Payments, iDEAL, Manual Payments, Skrill Moneybookers, PayPal Payflow Pro, Paymill, PayPal Chained Payments, PayPal Express Checkout, PIN, Simplify Commerce by MasterCard, Stripe and WePay.
All the Core Features You Need
We provide all the tools you need to market your products the way you want – without the need to pay for pricey extensions.
Choose whether users remain on the current product pages or are redirected to checkout when they add a product to their cart.
Encourage customers to share your products with their friends and family with Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter shares buttons.
Manage the Checkout Process
Enable or disable guest checkout and even sell to specific countries or anyone in the world.
Limit Digital Downloads
Choose how many times a customer can download a file they have purchased.
Did you know the average customer is 69% likely to abandon their shopping cart? With our simple new one-page checkout process you won’t become another statistic.
Simple tax settings make it easy to set rates, create exceptions, apply taxes to downloadable products, tax before or after the cost of shipping and tax based on location.
Ship anywhere in the world with confidence. Use flat rate shipping or cater to specific distribution logistics using table or weight rates.
Hide Out of Stock Products
When a product isn’t available, automatically set a product to draft so it doesn’t display.
Display your products as a list or grid, choose how many rows, show images (or don’t), and make the most of the built-in image lightbox.
We’ve made sure your entire site or network are both Google Universal Analytics and Google Analytics eCommerce compatible.
Set Default Currency
Choose from 120 different currencies as your default currency. You can also allow customers to spend their points or credits with your store by default.
Show Related Products
Tempt customers to make more purchases by displaying related products. Choose how many to show, pick a list or grid, and select whether to relate products by categories or tags.
A handy button in the post visual editor lets you quickly insert shortcodes into an product, page or post.
When you’re running out of any of your products, MarketPress can let you know when it’s time to stock up.
Simpler, Intuitive and Even More Powerful
MarketPress offers an effortless and user-friendly solution for setting up an online store, even for first-time store owners.
From product and store settings to payment gateways, shipping and product display, setting up your store with MarketPress takes no time at all.
Quick Setup Wizard
Quick Setup gets your site ready to sell products and digital downloads in minutes. MarketPress walks you through setting up your store, step-by-step, so you don’t have to think about what’s going on behind the scenes (but if you do want to know what’s going on behind the scenes, you can still do that, too).
Greater Functionality With Add-Ons
MarketPress 3.0 brings add-ons for the first time, with even more to come.
Attract new shoppers and increase sales with coupon based marketing campaigns.
Allow users to generate a good-looking invoice instead of – or in addition to – a standard invoice email.
Automatic Adaptive Design
Not only have we built our own themes for design simplicity, MarketPress is developed to work flawlessly with any well-coded WordPress theme.
Shortcodes and built-in widgets let you display elements anywhere on your site.
Perfect for Developers
MarketPress is a powerful framework that is infinitely expandable. Developers can grab our fully-documented plugin APIs and quickly build custom modules. Just override the documented classes and drop custom features in the appropriate plugin folder and new features will automatically appear in the admin interface.
Integration With WPMU DEV Plugins
Take full advantage of the 140+ premium plugins included with your WPMU DEV membership by pairing them with MarketPress.
Plus, MarketPress includes special integrations with Appointments + and CoursePress.
To Get Started:
- Download the plugin file.
- Unzip the file into a folder on your hard drive.
- Upload the /marketpress/ folder and all its contents to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your site.
- Login to your admin panel for WordPress or Multisite and activate the plugin:
- On regular WordPress installs – visit Plugins and Activate the plugin.
- For WordPress Multisite installs – Activate it site-by-site in Plugins in the site admin dashboard (say if you wanted to make it a Pro Sites premium plugin), or visit Network Admin » Plugins and Network Activate the plugin.
This plugin can also work from the /mu-plugins/ folder by uploading marketpress.php and /marketpress-includes/ there directly.
- Once enabled a new ‘Products’ menu item is added to the site admin dashboard
- Network options are managed in Settings » MarketPress in the Network admin dashboard when network activated on a WordPress multisite.
- If you are using a caching plugin such as W3 Total Cache or have another caching mechanism such as Varnish enabled on your server you’ll need to add a couple of cookie exceptions for MarketPress to function correctly.PHPSESSID
mp_globalcart_*If you are using W3 Total Cache you’ll want to add this to the Reject cookies setting (one item per line).If using a Varnish cache, please contact your hosting provider and ask them to add the exceptions.
Check out our introductory video to help get you started with MarketPress.
Select the “Playlist” at the bottom of the video frame for more videos, or choose the videos from this list here:
- Welcome to MarketPress
- The Front-end Interface
- Getting Started With General Settings
- Presentation Settings
- Messaging Configurations
- Payment Gateway Settings
- Shipping Settings
- Import from CSV and WP e-commerce
- Product Creation and Management
- Sales and Coupon Codes
- Order Management
- Selling Digital Products
- MarketPress Network Settings
- Setting Up the Etsy-style Site
- Categories and Organization
- Conclusion and Thank You
Step 1: Enabling pretty permalinks.
MarketPress uses pretty URLs so rewrites and pretty permalinks must be enabled. Your permalinks can be anything but the default permalinks. You check your permalink structure by going to Settings » Permalinks in the site admin dashboard.
Step 2: Configuring your store settings.
1. Go to Products » Store Settings in the site admin dashboard.
2. In the General tab adjust the location, tax and currency for your region and change the miscellaneous settings to suit your needs.
3. In the Presentation tab select your general settings, single product settings, product list settings and your store URL slugs then click Save Changes.
Note that the ‘Buy Now’ checkout button type is used if you want users to immediately be able to purchase the item. In most cases you would leave as the default ‘Add to Cart’ so they can continue to browse before finalizing their purchase.
MarketPress will automatically create your Store pages when you click Save changes on the Presentation Settings tab.
4. In the Shipping tab select your target countries and set your rate settings.
5. In the Payment tab select your payment gateways and configure each payment option you’ve chosen.
- The Payment gateways displayed vary depending whether MarketPress is installed on Multisite or not.
- When in Multisite the gateways allowed are controlled in Settings » MarketPress in the network admin dashboard.
Step 3: Creating a Product
1. Go to Products » Create New.
2. Add your Product name and description of product.
3. Assign your product categories and product tags.
4. Click on ‘Set featured image’, upload your image, add your image title, click ‘Set featured image’ and then close ‘Set featured image’ window.
Here’s an example of how the featured image is used with the product description on a single product page in your store:
And here is what it could look like in grid view on other MarketPress pages like Store, Products, Categories, etc.
5. Complete your Product Details information by adding your Stock Keeping Unit number, Price, Sale Price (Optional), number in stock and select Inventory if you want to limit sales to items in stock only.
6. Add your variations (if applicable) by clicking on Add Variation, adding your Variation names, Stock Keeping unit number, price and quantity.
- Variations are for when you are offering options like different sizes (S, M, L, XL) or different colors (Black, White)
7. Complete the extra Shipping costs if the product needs extra allowance made for shipping.
8. Upload your file if your product includes a file that your customer downloads.
9. Now click on Publish and when you go to your site you’ll see your product displayed in your store page, on the products listing page and the individual product page.
Step 4: Add your Shopping Cart to your sidebar
1. Go to Appearance » Widgets
2. Add your Shopping Cart widget to the sidebar.
Here’s what it looks like in action in the sidebar:
There are several other MarketPress Widgets you can add to your sidebar. Go ahead and explore the options of each one.
Step 5: Purchase a Product
Now it’s time to go to your store to confirm it is working how you want and to see if there are any areas you want to change.
1. Go to the Store on your Site.
2. Work through the process and purchase some products.
You can make adjustments in Products » Store Settingsin the following tabs:
- General tab – specify location, tax, currency and miscellaneous settings
- Coupons tab – create coupons that can be used for discounts and promotions
- Presentation tab – change store slugs and adjust Store theme; change checkout button type, show/hide quantity, product image size, product thumbnail size, paginate products, change number of products per page, change order of products
- Messages tab – customize your email notifications, messages on store pages and shopping cart pages
- Shipping tab – customize shipping options including flat rate settings
- Payments tab – amend payment options and setup payment gateways
- Shortcodes tab – view all the available shortcodes along with instructions for using them
Step 6: Managing Orders
Orders are managed in Products » Manage Orders.
Here’s where you monitor all orders and update their status as the products are being shipped.
Using on WordPress Multisite
On a WordPress multisite you can choose to:
- Activate it site-by-sitebasis
- Network Activate on the Network Admin » Plugins page if you want to make stores auto-installed on all sites.
About site-by-site option
You would use this option if you wanted to make it a Supporter premium plugin or you wanted to limit to specific sites. This means your users:
- Can choose to activate their plugin on their site via Plugins » Installed in their site admin dashboard.
- Need to set up their own payment gateways to manage product sales.
When you use this option you also need to activate it on the main site so the global product listings will be displayed on.
About Network Activated option
On a Multisite install, you can also Network Activate on the Network Admin » Plugins page if you want to make stores auto-installed on all blogs. Having a WordPress Multisite install is where MarketPress really gets to shine. Here you can decide who has access to the Global Widgets/Shortcodes for product display, setup gateway permissions, PayPal “chained” payments, theme permissions and the Global Market Permalinks. You’ll find all the Multisite options in Network Admin » Settings » MarketPress where you’ll see the following sections:
- Global Settings – limit the use of Global Widgets and shortcodes to the main blog and enable Global shopping cart
- Gateway Permissions – provide or restrict access to payment gateways for network stores (an additional Pro Sites option will be provided if the Pro Sites Plugin is installed)
- Theme Permissions – provide or restrict access to MarketPress CSS themes for network stores
- Global Marketplace URL Slugs – customize your email notifications, messages on store pages and shopping cart pages
- Shortcodes – listing of all the global shortcodes used for listing network products, along with general use instructions
Important: If the Site Visibility of a sub-site in your network is set to “Discourage search engines…” (under Settings > Reading), the products from that sub-site will not display in the global marketplace.
The Global Cart and Parallel Payments
The global cart is designed from the ground up for each store to be a different merchant accepting and processing orders independently. It’s not designed for the same store owner to run multiple stores, you should just keep your products in one store in that case.
The global cart is also not compatible with domain mapped sub-sites, due to cross-domain security concerns.
Parallel payments is what allows a customer to checkout/pay once, and it’s automatically distributed to all the merchants in their cart. It enables buyers to pay multiple merchants on a marketplace in a single Express Checkout session. This is only available through PayPal.
Importing from WP e-commerce:
As of MarketPress 2.1 you can now import products directly in CSV format, or from WP e-Commerce 3.8+- and it couldn’t be any easier.
- Make sure you have both the WP e-Commerce and MarketPress plugins activated.
- In Site Admin » Products » Store Settings you’ll see a new tab entitled “WP e-Commerce Importer”
- Click ‘Import Now’.
- That’s it! You should see a success message letting you know the process has been completed.
What all is imported?
- Product Title
- Product Description
- Featured Image
- Sale Price
- Product Category
- Product Tags
- Additional per-item national shipping cost
- Product Excerpt
Check out the docs on the Presentation settings page. It’s incredibly easy to add your own css theme and modify it as you would like. There is also a detailed readme.txt on how to create completely custom page templates for all the store pages. You can also checkout our excellent guide to basic and advanced theming of Marketpress.
Credits & props
You don't need a single add-on or extension.
- 16 built-in payment gateways
- 100% translation ready
- Supports all major currencies
- Quality Tax and VAT settings
- Sell digital files
- Set download limits
- Multiple shipping options (including pick up)
- Google Universal Analytics
- Pinterest “Rich Pins” with advanced oEmbed endpoint
- Link related product
- Coupons, discounts and affiliate modules
- Full Google Analytics eCommerce integration
- Unlimited product variations
- Stock alerts per variation
- Configure physical product order limits
- AJAX cart and cart widget
- Comprehensive shortcode library
- Link product to external link
- Amazon affiliate linking
- Product specific categories and tags
- Inventory tracking
- Order manager
- Alert system
- Fully customizable URLs
- Checkout without registration
- Build a shopping network (like Etsy)
- Mutisite global shopping cart
- Tax inclusive pricing option
- Custom personalization fields
- Lightbox image zoom
- Advanced API support for developers
- Simple design integration
- Adaptive theme support
- No extensions needed
- Extensive tracking number options
- Round-the-clock support
- HTTPS support for custom styles