Compatibility WordPress 4.2.2 Multisite 4.2.2 BuddyPress 2.3.2
"WPMU DEV is my WordPress lifeline. Great premium plugins, responsive development and incredible support."
The Google+ Plugin adds Google social media integration to WordPress.
Social Content Feed
Create an automated feed of Google+ activity on your site. Share content directly from your page or profile, import the activity feed and add Google+ account sync to all your users.
Create a social buzz, build search engine rankings and reach a wider audience by connecting WordPress and social media content.
Simple toggle controls make it easy to use the Google+ Plugin out-of-the-box. Or, get the perfect setup with a custom fit using our built-in shortcode library and direct access to hooks.
Sync Google Analytics to the +1 button and create informed marketing campaigns.
+1 Sharing Made Easy
Configure +1 buttons that fit your design and make it easy for your users to share your content with their network.
Show share count, choose a size and shape, set position and decide what post types automatically add buttons.
For help with installing plugins please refer to our Plugin installation guide.
Login to your WordPress or Multisite and activate the plugin:
- On regular WordPress installs – visit Plugins and Activate the plugin.
- For WordPress Multisite installs – Activate it blog-by-blog (say if you wanted to make it a Pro Site premium plugin), or visit Network Admin -> Plugins and Network Activate the plugin.
- Installing the Google +1 button will tell Google to crawl your site. If your site is behind a pay wall or restricted to the public you should not install it.
- Google users must be logged in and using Google.com to see +1 recommendations.
- Mobile users cannot see + 1 recommendations but your +1 button will be visible. This means that they can vote, despite not being able to see recommendations
- You can place as many +1 buttons on your site as you wish!
- You can get more information about how Google+ works at the Google +1 button FAQ
The Google +1 plugin has an extensive range of configuration options in Settings > Google+.
Below is how to customize each configuration options in Settings > Google+.
The Google+ button
Once activated, the default Google +1 button is added to your posts.
To customize the location of the +1 button, its appearance and what content it’s included with, go to Settings > Google+.
My Google+ page ID and My Google+ profile ID
This information is used if you want to set up attribution and linking to your Google+ profile and if you plan to import posts from Google+ directly into WordPress.
1. Go to the Google +1 page and get an account.
2. Once you have an account sign in.
3. Now click on your Profile and copy the long number at the end of your Profile URL (this is a long number right before /posts).
4. Paste this number into your My Google+ profile ID.
If you have a Google + page for your business then paste it onto the My Google+ page ID field.
Google + author profile fields
The Google+ author profile field is designed to allow your users to add their Google +1 profile to their profile on your network.
Enabling the + author profile fields allows users to add their Google +1 profile to their profile information in Users > Your Profile under Contact information.
Enabling the automatically add authorship links means any posts published by the user are linked to their Google +1 profile page provided they’ve added their Google+ Profile to Users > Your Profile.
Google+ Activities import
The Google + plugin allows you to post directly to WordPress or to your BuddyPress activity stream directly from Google +.
To do this you first need to set up access to the Google API as follows:
1. Create a project in Google API Console
2. Under “Services” tab, turn “Google+ API” to ON and accept all Terms and conditions.
3. Under “API Access” click “Create oAuth Client Access.”
4. Fill in your details and click Create client ID.
The URL you need to use is located on Settings > Google+ in Step 3. under your Google+ App settings.
5. Copy your Client ID and Client secret values and add them to your Google+ App settings.
6. Click Save Changes at the bottom of the Google+ settings page.
7. Now click the “Authenticate” button in your Google+ App settings area.
8. If the authentication is successful “Authenticate” will change to “Test”. If it remains as “Authenticate” this indicates there is a problem and it hasn’t been able to authenticate with the Google+ API.
The import settings options allow you to import posts from a number of other Google+ profile or pages besides your own.
All you need to do to set up their imports is:
1. Go to their Google + profile and copy their Google + ID.
2. Paste their Google + ID to Import Settings.
3. Choose if you want the imported posts to be posted on your blog or only displayed in widgets or using shortcodes.
4. Next decide how many posts you want to limit imports to, which author you want to assign the posts to when they are imported, the categories they are assigned, if you want to auto create and apply tags from their Google+ Profile name and hashtags and if you want to filter posts to only import posts with specific hashtags.
5. Now click Save changes at the bottom of the Google+ Settings page.
6. To import the Google+ activities you just click on “Import Now”.
The posts will be imported into your site provided the Google+ posts are public.
You make post public on Google+ by:
1. Clicking on Add More People under your status update.
2. Select the Public option.
3. Google+ remembers your previous share options and automatically use this setting for all future posts unless you change it.
Google Analytics Integration
The Google Analytics Integration allows you to track your +1’s with Google Analytics.
Shortcodes and Styling
Extensive Shortcodes and template tags are located at the bottom of Settings > Google+.
The Google+ plugin includes three widgets:
- Google+1 widget – shows a “Google +1″box on your posts pages.
- Google+ Imported Activities widget – used to display imported Google+ activities
- Google+ page widget – shows your Google+ page
To add any of these widgets to your sidebar go to Appearance > Widgets
When network activated on a multisite installation, a settings page will be available in the Network Admin page at Settings > Google+. The settings here will be used as defaults for newly created sites.
The Google+ Plugin Features
Comprehensive Google+ integration for WordPress, Multisite and BuddyPress.
- Add the +1 button
- Add button to select post types
- Configure button position
- Post to WordPress from Google+
- Post to BuddyPress activity feed
- Google ID copy-n-paste configuration
- Google+ activities import
- Import from multiple profiles
- Tag assignment
- Post format assignment
- Hashtag specific importing
- Google Analytics integration
- Built-in +1 widget
- Google+ imported activities widget
- Add a badge with Google+ page widget
- Language selector
- Included shortcode library
- Advanced styling by class