Compatibility WordPress 4.1.1 Multisite 4.1.1 BuddyPress 2.2.1
"The BuddyPress Activity Plus plugin is working fantastic! It's really a utility plugin for BuddyPress. Thanks for this masterpiece."
"BuddyPress Activity Plus is nice and simple. Good job."
buddypress activity plus allows your users to upload and share images, videos and links across your BuddyPress site.
Create a rich media sharing site for users on your social network.
BuddyPress Activity Plus is feature-rich
This plugin works right out-of-the-box with easy to use features:
- Adds three new buttons to the BuddyPress activity stream.
- Allows you to easily upload photos from your computer or using an Image URL.
- Embed a video from popular sites such as Vimeo or YouTube.
- Embed a link to another website and the site title and description will automatically display.
- Select a thumbnail image from a list of images on the site’s homepage.
Looks great in any theme
Simply activate BuddyPress Activity Plus and let your users share their favourite cat photos, videos of friends and links to interesting stories and news articles.
There’s no configuration needed – just activate the plugin and allow your users to start sharing.
Extend the power of your BuddyPress feed with powerful new ways to share media and status updates.
To Get Started:
Start by reading Installing Plugins section in our comprehensive WordPress and WordPress Multisite Manual if you are new to WordPress.
1. Download the plugin file
2. Unzip the file into a folder on your hard drive
3. Upload the /buddypress-activity-plus/ folder and all its contents to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on
4. Login to your admin panel for WordPress or Multisite and activate the plugin:
- On regular WordPress installs – visit Plugins and Activate the plugin.
- For WordPress Multisite installs – visit Network Admin -> Plugins and Network Activate the plugin.
5. Once installed and activated, you will see a new menu item in your admin at Settings > Activity Plus.
Basic settings can be configured at Settings > Activity Plus.
1. Select a Theme to be used for the icons.
2. Choose the Alignment, either Left or Right. This alignment setting will be used for the posted media.
3. Specify the oEmbed Width, which will be the width of any media files such as videos. The height of the media will adjust to accommodate the width.
4. Specify the Image thumbnail dimensions, both Width and Height, to be used for thumbnail images for the posted media.
Now let’s take a look at further customization options.
Usage and Customization
You can also use custom icons in your theme, simply use add_theme_support(“bpfb_toolbar_icons”); in your functions.php, copy over the rules from css/bpfb_toolbar.css and edit to suit your needs.
Alternatively, if you’re OK with 32×32 icon sizes, you can just override the icons in your stylesheet using background property and !important. These are the IDs: #bpfb_addPhotos, #bpfb_addVideos, #bpfb_addLinks, #bpfb_addDocuments
You can also set your preferred thumbnail size separately from your default thumbnail size settings, if you wish to do so. You can do that by adding this line to your wp-config.php:
Where “200×200″ are width and height (in that order), in pixels.
Finally, be sure to verify your default sizes for embedded media. It’s in Settings -> Media -> Embeds -> Maximum embed size
There are a few additional constants that you can override in your wp-config.php file to further customize how the plugin functions.
Add the following to wp-config.php to override oEmbed width:
define('BPFB_OEMBED_WIDTH', 450, true);
Add the following to wp-config.php to increase/decrease the number of allowed images per activity item:
define('BPFB_IMAGE_LIMIT', 5, true);
Add the following to wp-config.php to open links in a new window:
Here are a few screenshots of what this plugin could look like on your site for your users (depending on your theme of course).
When using the plugin in combination with BuddyPress Media, a conflict can arise due to the activity stream upload, since both the plugins are trying to upload media through the activity stream.
If you want to use the BuddyPress Activity Plus functionality, uncheck “Enable Activity Uploading” on the BuddyPress Media Settings Page.