Compatibility WordPress 4.2 Multisite 4.2 BuddyPress 18.104.22.168
Create the most sophisticated paid content sites possible with Membership Pro.
Easily set up recurring payment subscriptions, a multi-level membership system (including freemium), dripped content, protected forums or put courses behind a paywall in WordPress.
Fast Paywall Protection
In under an hour you can begin charging to access premium content on your site – media, courses, support or whatever else you can dream up.
Build more, faster, with drag-and-drop rules that let you ‘see’ each level of membership.
A Marketing Machine
Make attractive offers using the included coupon builder and engage new users through automated email campaigns.
Keep your clients connected with follow-up emails, reminders, tutorials or special offers.
4 Reliable Payment Options
Choose from 4 reliable payment options. PayPal Express, 2Checkout, Free Subscriptions and Authorize.net make it easy to setup manual and automated processing.
Each gateway is rigorously tested and backed by our support team.
Build a Subscription-Based Multisite or Social Network
Build your perfect membership solution quickly with Membership Pro.
Transform a basic Multisite into a subscription-based network or pair with BuddyPress to create an exclusive social network.
Get the FULL Membership Manual
We’ve put together a full walk-through complete with screenshots for you. Sit back, relax, and allow us to guide you through the all the inner-workings and advanced settings to get the exact membership site you want.
Please also see Recent Changes at the bottom of this page.
Check out our introductory video to help get you started with Membership.
You can watch the entire series in this playlist on YouTube.
Select the “Playlist” at the bottom of the video frame for more videos, or choose the videos from this list here:
- Tutorial Overview
- Front-End Interface
- Initial Setup
- Dashboard Overview
- General Settings
- Content Protection
- Downloads and Media Protection
- Membership Admins and Extras
- Payment Gateways
- Access Levels
- Subscription Plans
- Account Management
- Coupon Codes
- Messages and Communications
- Protecting URL Groups
- Remote Pings
- Conclusion and Thank You
Building a Membership Site
The WPMU DEV Membership plugin makes it very easy to create and manage a membership site for both free and paid subscribers. Whilst the plugin handles a lot of the work, you will need to spend some time thinking through the structure of your site and how you want to set-up and categorise your content before installing and activating the Membership plugin. The purpose of these instructions are to guide you through some of the important (or even just desirable) steps, and get you up and running (and making money) as quickly and painlessly as possible.
What is a membership site
A membership site can take many guises, from Gigaom Pro which protects long articles and research, through to Izzy videowhich protects individual videos. In all cases though, a membership site contains a minimum of two levels of content:
- Free (or teaser) content, which is accessible to everyone and is used to entice potential new members into subscribing (and also help with SEO)
- Members only content, which is only accessible to those who have an active (paid or free) subscription to the site.
These instructions guide you through using standard WordPress categories to mark posts / content as being accessible to either free users or members only. They then go into some of the more advanced features that allow you to protect individual uploads and distinct sections of a post’s content.
NOTE: If you have the Lite version of Membership installed, please deactivate and uninstall that version before installing the premium version. The settings are stored in the database so you won’t lose setting information.
- Download the plugin file.
- Unzip the file into a folder on your hard drive.
- Upload the /membership/ folder and all its contents to the /wp-content/plugins/ folder on your site.
- Login to your admin panel for WordPress or Multisite and activate the plugin:
- On regular WordPress installs – visit Plugins and Activate the plugin.
- For WordPress Multisite installs – Activate it site-by-site in Plugins in the site admin dashboard (say if you wanted to make it a Pro Sites premium plugin), or visit Network Admin » Plugins and Network Activate the plugin.
Important note regarding default ‘admin’ account:
For security, the membership plugin is set up to provide it’s membership options to the admin who activates the plugin. For many reasons, you may be using an account other than ‘admin’ this can be changed with a simple constants, please review our 60+ page manual for further information.
Note regarding Admins and Super Admins
Admin and Super Admin users who have privileges to edit Membership settings see the site as it is, without any restrictions applied. Content will not be hidden from them and shortcodes will appear un-rendered. In order to properly test membership levels, it’s best to use another browser and log into the site as a user with the membership level being tested.
Note regarding PayPal Express Payment Gateway
If you have selected PayPal Express as a payment gateway, know that their API imposes limits as to how you can configure the access level periods when setting up your subscription plans.
- If you select “days” in the right-hand dropdown, the number you select can be no more than 90.
- If you select “weeks” in the right-hand dropdown, the number you select can be no more than 52.
- If you select “months” in the right-hand dropdown, the number you select can be no more than 24.
- If you select “years” in the right-hand dropdown, the number you select can be no more than 5.
Notes regarding 2Checkout Payment Gateway
1. 2Checkout does not support recurring subscriptions by days. It only supports weeks, months and years. If you create a Serial subscription that renews every “X” number of days, Membership will multiply it by 7 to convert it to “X” number of weeks.
2. To integrate with 2Checkout properly, you cannot use your primary 2Checkout login. This is a 2Checkout security measure. It will create sales, but you won’t be able to perform other actions (for example, cancellations). To fix this you will need to create a new API enabled user in the 2Checkout console.
- Login to 2Checkout, go to Account > User Management > Create Username.
- Fill in the appropriate fields and then make sure you select API Access.
- The new username and password are the ones you need to enter in the 2Checkout settings in Membership.
Note regarding database repair
If your database table structure gets somehow corrupted after installing or updating plugins or themes, or even your WordPress, Membership will prompt you to check and/or repair your database.
Before doing so, it is highly recommended to make a backup of your database. If you do not already have a backup solution in place, perhaps consider installing our Snapshot plugin now.
Note regarding BuddyPress installs
If you are running BuddyPress on your site, it’s best to ensure that the BuddyPress “Register” page option is set to “None”, or a different page than the Membership registration page, to avoid conflicts.
Note regarding URL Groups, custom post types & regex
Regular expressions can be used in the URL Groups feature to target specific types of URLs. This can be very handy when you want to include/exclude any custom post types or taxonomies.
For example, to protect your search results you could use this expression in a URL Group:
If you wanted to target all posts of a specified taxonomy in a custom post type, you could use:
There is one thing to look out for though: if you include a regular expression like the one below, it would match every URL on the site:
To prevent that, your regex should be followed by a “$” to indicate the end of the match string like so:
In addition to the shortcodes you find on the Access Level page, and from the admin options area, you also have these:
[subscriptiontitle subscription=”2″] – The title of the subscription.
[subscriptiondetails subscription=”2″] – The Subscription plan details.
[subscriptionprice subscription=”2″] – The subscription plan price.
[subscriptionbutton subscription=”2″] – And the subscription plan button
Replace the number with the ID of the subscription.
Since version 22.214.171.124, content is now protected by default unless access is specifically granted. Please be sure to adjust, if necessary, the positive rules in your access levels accordingly.
Please also note that the admin permissions settings are now located under Users > All Users. This change is to help ensure that all user information and settings are accessible from the same place. Please keep this in mind when reviewing the PDF manual or tutorial videos.
Membership Pro Features
Incredibly functional, surprisingly simple.
- Downloads paywall
- Video content paywall
- Image file paywall
- Protect specific URLs
- Audio file paywall
- Plugin paywall
- Protect pages, posts or comments
- Support paywall
- Create exclusive forums
- Recurring payment options
- Dripped content settings
- Simple drag-n-drop setup
- Unlimited custom subscription plans
- Paid and free subscriptions
- PayPal Express
- Invitation-only registration
- Shortcode catalog
- Remote ping
- Seamless BuddyPress integration
- Automated email campaign system
- Graphs and reports